Insects in Bosc Elms

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I was outside this afternoon and thought I heard what sounded like a hive of bees. As it turns out our 2 Bosc elms are full of some sort of buzzing insects. I have not been able to see them up close.

Question is: Would these be Elm leaf beetles?

Any insights would be helpful.

OP
sjessen

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
We are thinking it is elm leaf Beetles.

Not bees or fleas.

Thanks for your replies.

Btw, I have a mister and used some Talstar last night. Didn’t see to faze them.

OP
sjessen

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
So, it was nearly dusk when I sprayed the tree last night so I couldn't get a good look at the insects or the tree either, for that matter. After reading the posts above I called my wife who went out and looked at the tree using a telephoto lens. Seems the tree is in bloom and the insects are some sort of bees trying to pollinate it. They appear to be smaller than honey bees but larger than sweat bees.

Seems there was no harm done to the bees as they are hard at it again today.

Full disclosure, I am getting old and was fearful the buzzing I heard was all in my head along with the voices that are already there.......

Thanks to all for your help!!

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Are they as weedy as American elms?

I like the look of some of the imported elms but I'm wary of them because of how invasive natives are. Only thing worse I've encountered is Chinese sumac.

OP
sjessen

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Are they as weedy as American elms?

I like the look of some of the imported elms but I'm wary of them because of how invasive natives are. Only thing worse I've encountered is Chinese sumac.
No, not at all.

Bosque Elms (yes, I misspelled it) are very common as street trees and in islands. Tell you what I will take some pictures and post them.

We have 2 in the front yard. We can grow grass under them, the roots are no issue. Leaves aren't too bad although they are fine.