Insert Blades

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I was scrolling through my current Landscape Care Magazine and saw an ad for www.advancedbladetech.com a mower blade with a cutting edge insert, and was curious if anyone has tried these or even heard of them, they sound like a cool concept but just wondering what others thoughts were on this product...

THANKS!!!!

OP
NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
That company was at the expo this year. If I had the type of grass where it was necessary to shapen the blades every day I think it would be the ticket.
But it would be easy to change those out whenever it was required, with no out of balance issues, did you look over the products and did it look sound and like a good idea?

MOturkey

LawnSite Silver Member
Certainly looks promising, but I think for most of us, the cost would be the deciding factor. If the replacement blades are cheap enough, I can see it catching on. Remember you are going to have to replace 6 of the inserts every time on most mowers, so even if they run a buck apiece, that would get expensive in a hurry.

professional

LawnSite Member
I do not know the technical term, but I can see those 'pins' that hold the inserts getting damaged and making it next to impossible to install the inserts. Maybe even having to replace them all together.

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
That company was at the expo this year. If I had the type of grass where it was necessary to shapen the blades every day I think it would be the ticket.
not really trying to say one way or the other here but there are guys who sharpen there blades every day no matter what.

for me the type of grass has NOTHING to do with whether i sharpen my blades or not.

i try to be proactive and i don't wait until the blades get dull to sharpen them.

in the spring and most of the summer if not all i sharpen the blades every day or put a fresh set on. for me thats anywhere from 8 to 12 properties a day.

in the fall when i'm just mowing up leaves i don't bother sharpening. thats when the worst set i have goes on and stays on until spring.

DIXIECONTRACTING

LawnSite Senior Member
I do not know the technical term, but I can see those 'pins' that hold the inserts getting damaged and making it next to impossible to install the inserts. Maybe even having to replace them all together.
I agree if you hit something hard and damage those I believe a new set of blades would be needed dot just a trip to the grinder.