1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Inspection Stations

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mruiz, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. mruiz

    mruiz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 205

    I'm driving from NJ to Ky to pick up two trailers. 1. 20ft open 2. 16ft or 18ft open. They will piggyback. I will be driving my personaol truck no commerical tags or signs. The question is, Do I need to stop at the road side inspection stations on my way back to NJ?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Mike
     
  2. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,197

    I wouldn't
     
  3. mruiz

    mruiz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 205


    I don't want to see flashing lights in my rearview
     
  4. EagleGrounds

    EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 401

    Im pretty sure you are going to need to, at least here in ohio you wouldnt (ive only seen 1 station with in about 200 miles of here).
     
  5. mruiz

    mruiz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 205

    Thanks EagleGrounds, I just want to be sure before opening up a can of worms.
     
  6. salopez

    salopez LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 271

    if your gross combined wieght is over 10k lbs you need to pull in. however they will most likely left lane you if the trailers are empty.
     
  7. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904


    I wouldn't either.
     
  8. GravelyNut

    GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,594

    Safest thing to do is pull in. 75% of the time I get the bypass lane. the other 25% I do get weighed. Check out http://www.coopsareopen.com/ for the states you are going to go thru. Florida loves to weigh mine for some reason.
     
  9. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,197

    Here the sign says over 4 tons must weight.
     
  10. GravelyNut

    GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,594

    And I believe that also includes combo weights which counts me in.
     

Share This Page