1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing miles of steel edging

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Nvtreesnick, May 17, 2019.

1. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

Only in the midwest not in the south

GrassManKzoo and Mark Oomkes like this.
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oregon

Whats your material cost on this job? We use 1/8" thick mild steel edging that is 3 to 4" tall and comes in 20 foot sticks. The 4" is much better than the 3" in my opinion. 3" runs about $29 bucks a stick, 4" is closer to $40. So for 3" this job would be at least $23,000 just for the edging-of course you'll probably get a volume discount?
    I've seen this stuff come in 100' rolls, but its only 1/16 or 3/32" thick. Can't seem to locate the rolls out here. Plus they weigh a couple hundred pounds each...

hort101 likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

read a little closer. the last 2 pictures are what we don't do down here.

you may have to do things differently because of the ground freezing based on your location. i was just saying how it is done down here.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Cam15 likes this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's not sand like the beach. it's sandy soil. there's a difference. i guess it's time to hit the block button :/ ...no reason to be a jerk Mark over something so stupid.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Cam15 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honestly for 3 miles i would never personally use metal edging but that's just my opinion.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

That’s an insane amount of edging. Can you set it on the ground above grade and then just shoulder both sides (raise the grade) to bury it?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

This thread seems to have gotten shorter.

m_ice, GrassManKzoo and Mudly like this.
  8. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I’ve never in my life seen metal edging above ground. If I seen that I’d think someone was laaaaaaaaazy. One bump of the mower and it’s getting ripped up I’d think.

m_ice and Mark Oomkes like this.
  9. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Isn’t edging aluminum and rebar steel?
    How and why please.

What’s going on around here can’t we just dig a small trench and stake the stuff with the provided materials

m_ice, Mudly and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

The first 2 look horrible!

m_ice, GrassManKzoo and Mark Oomkes like this.