1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing miles of steel edging

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Nvtreesnick, May 17, 2019.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you don't hit it with the mower. :laugh:

it's how everyone does it in the south. you just trim right along the edge of the metal. if it's spiked down good it doesn't move at all.

honestly metal edging isn't used very often anymore. most people use pavers or bricks or stone or something now days.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i mean most of them sorta look like the 3rd picture. about halfway in the ground once it gets "settled in."

most people no longer use metal edging. now days it's pavers, stone, or bricks or something. a few places have metal edging but not very many.

3. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

Screenshot_20190521-213608_Chrome.jpg
    LMAO...

Mark Oomkes and GrassManKzoo like this.
  4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Screenshot_20190521-222119_Chrome.jpg never heard of him.

Andrew H, Cam15, GrassManKzoo and 2 others like this.
  5. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Still interested in this welding of rebar to edging :rolleyes:

m_ice and Mark Oomkes like this.
  6. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

It's like sewing your head to carpet

Andrew H and Mark Oomkes like this.
  7. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oregon

Out here in the wild wild west metal has gained a resurgence, for edging, stairs, retaining walls. The fad seems like it might be fading, but that remains to be seen. Mild steel is the metal of choice, people like the rust patina it develops after a while.
    I've never ever seen aluminum edging besides on the Home Depot website. Not sure why, but I honestly have never once seen aluminum edging.
    So why do we weld it to rebar? Good question. One thing I've noticed about almost any edging whether it's plastic, steel, wood etc., is that over time it tends to shift its location as the ground settles, or other such natural forces at work.
    Most of the work we do with metal edging requires butting up to hardscape surfaces, concrete, pavers, ashphalt and we spend a good amount of time getting the top of the edging as flush as possible with the hardscape. Most of our sites are on hillsides with sloping grades, so there is additional tensions on the metal edging as we try to match divergent grades.
    Point is, after we spend all that time grading, checking slopes and elevation, and flushing our metal edging up to a driveway, patio or other permanent surface, I want to leave knowing that it won't budge a fraction of an inch for a very long time. Or I will get call back to deal with it. Which is why we flux core weld it to 16" pieces of 1/2" rebar.
    One client I know had some steel edging installed that was loosely staked, not welded. After two years, one end had projected up an inch or so. The mower went over it and sliced a razor sharp wedge out of the top. Probably trashed the mower blade, but all I could think of was some barefoot kid running out into the yard. That edging was sharp as a scalpel....

hort101 and GrassManKzoo like this.
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Can’t believe no one cracked up at my post saying to do a search on YouTube. Tough crowd.....

Mark Oomkes and m_ice like this.
  9. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

Seems like every day is a tough crowd on here...

DVS Hardscaper and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

I can't believe it's another 5 page thread with only minimal input from the OP! ;)

DVS Hardscaper and m_ice like this.