Installing zerk fittings

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey guys, have any of you installed zerk fittings on sealed wheel casters, yoke spindles, or blade spindles? I just got a new Gravely with all the above sealed. I'd like to install zerk fitting so I can grease them and prolong their lives. Has this idea worked for anyone? I know it will be a pain in the ass to do, but the payoff should be worth it?

Thank you! Dan--

Wolfgang

LawnSite Member
Yes we do this all the time. I do not agree with sealed for life bearings, so we drill housings where possible and add grease nipples. Most of our gear is John Deere and has greasable points on most moving parts, we have one Ariens (Gravely ) machine and it has one grease fitting on the whole machine!.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes we do this all the time. I do not agree with sealed for life bearings, so we drill housings where possible and add grease nipples. Most of our gear is John Deere and has greasable points on most moving parts, we have one Ariens (Gravely ) machine and it has one grease fitting on the whole machine!.
Thank you! Isn't it stupid not to be able to grease moving parts that constantly take a beating. Who wants to buy new parts every year.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
They last a longer time than one year. And replacing bearings not that big of deal. After greasing Scag for years we now have 4 that are sealed. In third year no problem.
Wow, I didn't expect sealed bearings would live very long. Maybe I should just sit back and relax. Thank you! Dan--

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
My exmark had mostly sealed bearings. I never had to replace a single sealed bearing in 10 yrs. I have had to replace greasable spindles, and axle bearings many times.
I wish everything was sealed.
Apparently, sealed bearings have a much longer life than I expected. I had to replace the greasable wheel bearings and spindle bushings on my Turf Tracer, but they lasted ten years. Thank you for your input. Dan--

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow, I didn't expect sealed bearings would live very long. Maybe I should just sit back and relax. Thank you! Dan--
I have some that are now 29 years old and still working pretty well. They aren't used regularly like a commercial mower anymore, but still, 29 and they are original. Forcing grease into a sealed bearing can blow its seal out making it go bad very quickly. Sealed bearings are not the nemesis they used to be.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
I have some that are now 29 years old and still working pretty well. They aren't used regularly like a commercial mower anymore, but still, 29 and they are original. Forcing grease into a sealed bearing can blow its seal out making it go bad very quickly. Sealed bearings are not the nemesis they used to be.
Thank you much! I guess technology is moving along. Dan--

williams lcm

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yes grease will blow out a sealed bearing. Not worth it. I had it happen while mowing. The bearing popped out. I was dead in the water. Machine was useless . Don't do it. Leave it alone