Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im now ready 2 buy my WB. I decided 2 go new (or 200 hours or less--demo etc) and the most i can spend is $2,500.

It has to b 48", and have a 15 or more Kawi.

I demoed a Yazoo/Kees Kutter and really liked it. He was asking $3090. Ahhh but my dad could see on his book that for a promotion he could sell for $2399.

A local dealer has a scag 48" that was a demo, they are asking $2,700.

A friend of mine said a friend of his had a 48" Exmark (Hydro) with less than 100 hours and traded it for $2,000. (grrrrrrrrr) Im tracking that mower down and gonna see if its still there.... if it is im gonna see what they want.

With ANY of these mowers, is it reasonable to make offers? Way LOW offers? I would only give $2,400 for the Yazoo and the same for the Scag. I would probably give the same for the Exmark if its still there.

Lemme know what u think.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would be honest with the Scag dealer and tell him you can only afford the $2500.00

BTW is the $2700.00 list for that mower?

If it is then here is the deal.
If he is a Bronze dealer (does not sell a ton, small) then his mark-up is around 25%

If he is a silver dealer ( mid size) then his mark-up can be up to 27%

A gold dealer up to 33%

So offer him the $2500 as that is taking 8% off the list (if it is list)
This time of year then he might take it.

BTW he may have paid some interest so for every month he has paid on his floor plan then that reduces his profits. Another bonus for you.

Hope this helps

P.S. Deer season will be here soon!

·
Registered
487 Posts
You should be able to buy a new Exmark Metro at around your budget with ECS and the 15 hp kawa. As I only paid $2679 for my Metro HP although it is only a 36" it has floating deck and the 15 hp kawa and ECS controls. I didn't need the floating deck but Could not get the 15 hp kawa on the regular Metro. Its a good thing to because I've bogged the 15 hp to were it would have stalled the 12.5 hp.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
go for the exmark, if you want a walk behind, dixie chopper when you move up to the ztr.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
i could never, for the life of me, figure out why someone would pay that kind of cash for a walkbehind. i bought all used. 32 emark-$500. 36 bobcat-$1200. 48 bobcat -$300. 48 bunton-$300. thats a toal of $2200, for 4 mowers, all in good running condition, and able to serve every purpose. not to mention that, when u put all yur eggs in one basket, if it breaks down, yur dead in the water. seems to me you can buy a nice used mower for pennies. why spend $2500?

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Dang Bobby, next time I'm in Jersey I'll turn the tables on the women and you and I can go out for a day of shopping! I'll take some of those deals and I don't even need the mowers.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
dwarf, and when i bought the bobcat, i ciouldnt believe, the guy even delivered it. think about it for a minute. we are constantly talkin about how people dont know how to run a business, dont know how to price, and lose thier shirt in the end. well, all my stuff was bought from people who fit that description. every mower starts on first or second pull. cuts like a dream. paint? r they supposed to have paint? i could give two cr*ps about paint. save yur money kid. if yur in this for the long haul, the walk behind is just a stepping stone. buy cheap! the only concern is reliability and cut quality. for peanuts u can get that. kawi engines never die....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would be willing to bet as someone else insinuated that Bobbys mowers are very warm to the touch.
If you buy "used tools" from a person who you can tell isn't in the business, don't complain when your hard earned tools dissapear some where down the line. jmho

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
ax man, will ya come on, just what kind of a person do u think i am? god are you guys brainless? all my equipment is stolen now? look, i bought all my stuff from people who FAILED in the business, just wanted to recoup some of thier losses, and get out. the 32 was purchased from a dealer. the owner could not pay his bill that was run way up, and he deserted the machine, so the dealer sold it to me cheap. you can get good deals, but u have to shop around. i once bought a beautiful 48 with a kawi in almost perfect condition, for, get this, $100. the guy who owned it left it at a friend of mines house, for years in the garage. the friend finally got tired of it being there, and asked me if i wanted to buy it. the machine had 2 flats and wouldnt start. the owner asked $500 for it. i told him it was junk, but ill take it off his hands for $100. he said take it. i put air in the tires, changed the oil, filters, and plug, a shot of starting fluid, and it fired right up. cut with it a few times, cut real sweet. shined it up and sold it for $800. i can get great deals all the time on good equipment, remember, guys are gettin out of this business on a constant basis, usually they will let thier stuff go cheap. now blowers, wackers, trimmers etc is something i wont buy used, its cheap enough to buy something nice brand new.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good answer Bobby, a little more info than was first offered.
I got a 7 hp ariens snow blower the same way 20 bucks. needed tubes in the tires, points and plug. Sorry for any offence.

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
Finding cheap used equip. may be easy in an area where there is a lot of commercial equipment being used. Around here dealers don't stock commercial machines only a few companyies use them and very few use big Walkbehinds. The ones that do run them into the ground. The new guys geting into it don't know what a commercial WB looks like let alone whould they buy one. The dealers who have demos or used machines, I tried that once and I learned my leson. My next mower will be new. I know its a lot of money but I also know that I will have a warrenty, dealer support, no hidden costs and repairs as soon as I get it and many, many years of service.
now If I saw a great deal on the 48" hustler super WB I want I would probably jump at it but I doubt that's going to happen .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.