Insurance & Employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BLC1, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. BLC1

    BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 718

    What do I need to do with my insurance when adding an employee?
  2. nobagger

    nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa
    Messages: 3,065

    Well first, you will need workman's comp. ins. for your employee, then you will need commercial liability on the truck he might be driving, if you already have com. lib. on the vehicle then just add him as an additional driver. The price for workmans comp. can be pricy. A part time employee can cost you anywhere from 110.00/mo to 150.00/mo depending on how many hour he will be working.
  3. BLC1

    BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 718

    How much does it usually run for them to be added as a driver?
  4. VBsnow

    VBsnow LawnSite Member
    Messages: 242

    Most commercial policies do not charge to add drivers. Better companies have a yes or no policy as to whether they are an allowable driver. Some companies do charge by the ticket but they normally are more expensive. Have your employees attach their MVR record to their application BEFORE hiring them. Make it clear in writing that their driving record is a condition of hteir employment.

    AS for the work comp, just submit their estimated payroll on an annual basis to your agent. Be sure to determine if they are 'landscaping' or 'lawn maint.'

Share This Page