1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance? How Much and How Much?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SoloMow, May 5, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I have been reading a few posts that lead me to believe that I'm either under-insured or paying too much for the liability insurance I now carry. I work solo (mow, trim, edge, blow, go) in small sub-divisions with, what I consider, very small risk. Most of my accounts are absent from the property when I work. I rarely see anyone "out and about" while mowing. I have literally had to pause only once in two years while a pedestrian passed on the sidewalk. I pay $319 for $200,000 coverage. Your impressions?

2. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

I pay 800 year for 1mil. and 50,000 equipment

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It really depends on how your business is set up (Sole Prop or Inc, LLC) and what/how much assets you have that you need to protect. The "standard" seems to be $1M. I did carry $5M but now I carry $10M though plus a $1M Umbrella Personal Policy.

4. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Mine is a sole proprietorship. Which means I only answer to my wife! :D

5. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

hey solo,
    is that $317 per year? who is that through? does that cover pesticides?

6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

The amount you pay seems about norm. I carry 500,000 for 2 guys @ 605 per year. That is liability only with a 250 deductable.

7. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

It's $319 per year. But, it SPECIFICALLY states that it does not cover herbicides, insecticides, or pesticides. I can't buy Weed & Feed at Wal-Mart for my customers. And, they keep asking! :D

8. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

$2 million liability, $10,000 inland marine, about $700/yr.

9. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 287 for 1 mil, but it does not cover pesticide, herbicides, etc... just mowing and 10,000 in equipment.

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I have the same for $483... 500 deductible