Lawn Care Forum banner

Insurance issues for com. equip stored at residence.

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mowingman 
#1 ·
Some of my com. equipment is stored in my garage which is attached to the house. My equip. & home are insured. What are the insurance issues if a fire breaks out in the garage & is linked to or fueled by the com. equipment? Does anyone have additional coverage for this?

#4 ·
Our insurance is though the same company that supplys our liabilty.Only thing the agent even asked was if the equipment was in a secure place

They do stick you for deprecration of the equipment.
So if you got a 3 year old piece of equipment and it get stolen or burnt in a fire dont look to get new price back they only pay the book value so to speak.Or at least thats how my policy works.
I found this out when we went to file a claim on a dixie chopper and two trimmers and blower that burned in a shed at my brothers lot.

#5 ·
Originally posted by jack D.
Some of my com. equipment is stored in my garage which is attached to the house. My equip. & home are insured. What are the insurance issues if a fire breaks out in the garage & is linked to or fueled by the com. equipment? Does anyone have additional coverage for this?
Ask your agent. Anything any one here tells you is pure speculation. Without knowing the particulars of your policy, etc.

The agent earns his / her commission for providing service. Make use of them.

#6 ·
I wanted some backgound info before talking to my agent. I think it is possible homeowner insurance will not cover a fire caused by commercially used equipment stored at the residence. If this is the case, informing my insurance agent of my current situation may not be prudent. I will talk to an independent broker. Possibly storage without fuel in tanks or gas can storage would not affect my current policy.

#8 ·
I was talking to my insurance broker about this very subject just the other day. He said don't worry both the house and the equipment are covered. He said if the house burned down and the fire was caused by my commercial equipment my contractors insurance policy would cover the house. If there was ever a fire here I still think it would be a nightmare triing to get the insurance company to pay up.

Ray

#9 ·
When I used to keep my equipment in my garage and backyard shed, my State Farm Ins. agent said it would not be covered against a loss. I had to add a "Rider" to my homeowners policy to cover the value of the equipment. He said, however, that it was not a problem storing it at home.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.