1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DaveRave07, Apr 15, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I've got an insurance question. First off, how many customers ask you whether or not you have insurance? I am in my first year and have yet to buy insurance because I don't think I have to money to do so just yet. I've gotten two calls and both have asked if I was insured and when I said no they went on to somebody else. I just wanted to know if this was a common thing for people to ask.

Also, how much are people paying for their insurance. I think I would be targeting the minimum amount of insurance. Also any special place to go for small business insurance. Or any suggestions for the upstate NY area. Thanks a lot.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I am just starting out again, but I never had anyone ask before except for the commercial accounts. In NY I bet its more expensive that a lot of places, but the thing to think about is can you afford not to have it? I would check with several independant agents, tell them what you are doing, and let them do the checking. Your cost will be based on your area, experience, and payroll. When i was a kid I mowed and never had it and was just fortunate to not have any accidents. I look back now and wonder what would have happened if I would have injured someone, major damage to a house etc. I pay +- $400/yr just for business/spraying insurance.

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

whats your liabilty coverage, .5 million or less for $400?

4. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I can afford 400/yr., I thought it would be more. I guess I will shop around.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

$1,000,000 through Allied. I was quoted $600 -$700 but one agent said since I was covered before w/ no losses it would be cheaper. This is my first year and Im part time so I estimated the minimum on Payroll. It was $375 w/ no payroll.

6. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yea i've heard for .5 million coverage around $500-800..... $1 million coverage for like $1k-1,500...... there's so many factors to consider though for quotes so its hard to give an accurate quote..... i'm no insurance consulant by any means, just shooting some # outta the breeze that i've heard from others in the buiz.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Farm Bureau $25 to join and $204 for 1mil, includes pest. That price is good for under $17500 volume.