Insurance questions!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mike S., Sep 22, 2010.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 19

    Currently i am self employed and live in michigan. i don't have anyone help that is on pay roll and if someone does, i pay cash. i have a 1 million liability insurance policy and 10k worth of equipment. my truck is insured through allstate for full coverage etc. now if i were to get into an accident does my auto insurance cover my truck since i was working? or would i need to add my truck to my business insurance?

    thanks guys,
  2. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,774

    Maybe a question for your agent?

    Unless there happens to be an agent from MI here on LS?
  3. dougaustreim

    dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 488

    Pay Cash? Never ever post evidence of illegal activity on the internet. Anyone and everyone can read your post including both state and federal agents.
  4. DQL10

    DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 292

    No. As far as I know that is how it is here in VA. If your truck is in the company name, it is best to have it under the company insurance policy. Also look at the rates, sometimes its cheaper to have your truck on a company policy.

    MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,568

    is it illegal to pay cash?
  6. rockytopseahawk

    rockytopseahawk LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

  7. dougaustreim

    dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 488

    No actually it is not illegal to pay cash, but it usually indicates that taxes are not being paid etc. There also was the implication that since he was paying cash, he could hide from the workers comp requirement.
  8. JCLawn and more

    JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI
    Messages: 5,274

    to your answer I had to get off my parents insurance because of this. I had to get commercial insurance just to cover the accident not the truck. There would be a major law suite if I got in an accident with a trailer that I am using for business. People that haul campers on the side have found that when they total there 50k truck hauling a camper for a business, the insurance then defaults because they did not have commercial insurance on the truck. Now at 18 it was cheaper for me to be on a commercial insurance policy than for me to be on my parents consumer insurance policy. I only pay 213 every three months for commercial insurance (comp on my truck, and $500,000 for my liability). My insurance is through frankenmuth. I would check with your agent for sure.
  9. silverado212

    silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 373

    Nationwide did that to me. Agent had my truck seperate because personal truck and used for business. Talked to an agent that the wifes family uses and he told me that I would be in deep do-do if I got in an accidentwhile pulling my trailer. Besides that he was cheaper on the same coverage. Drop allstate an look into Erie.
  10. MarkintheGarden

    MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,130

    I had my auto with allstate also, but here in MO allstate does not write commercial vehicle insurance, so I ended up switching to Hartford.

    As other have said, you need commercial coverage for a vehicle that you work with.+

Share This Page