1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

insurance questions

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Grahamslawncare, Feb 17, 2014.

  1. Grahamslawncare

    Grahamslawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 143

    hello guys im a bit new to the forum. I run a small lawn care business that's somewhat new. I know a bit about lawn care but not the licenses and insurance. So I have my fictitious name, tax receipt from the town I live in, And my ein. But I kinda feel like im missing something to be fully legal/licensed. Also insurance. What would I need to take on commercial lots? I got good place lined up but they said I just need to get insured.
  2. Landscape Poet

    Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,638

    Ask the place that you might have lined up what their requirements are as that sounds like it would be a good starting place. I do not do any what I would consider real commercial work ...but I still carry 1million/2million. You can start with much less
  3. Nate'sLawnCare

    Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,001

    I got mine through Nationwide and they were quite reasonable. For 1 million liability and $12,000 inland marine coverage on my equipment, it's around $600/year. They don't even charge extra on the liability for chemical apps like some other companies do. With others, my premium would have been twice as much just because of the chemicals.
  4. OneLineAtATime

    OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member
    Messages: 196

    State Farm is Great.... under $1000... Covered High risk for aerial tree service, snow removal, 10 vehicles..

    I'm relocating to Florida, whats the marine inland coverage?
  5. zturncutter

    zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,308

    Generally they will require a minimum of 1 million liability and Work Comp. 100 thousand, 500,000 thousand, 100,000 thousand along with license's for any work stipulated in the contract.
  6. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,837

    How do you have your business setup that requires an EIN? You may need to get on board with the state of Florida for taxes.
  7. Landscape Poet

    Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,638

    I am confused by what you mean here Unkownfl.....why would he NOT have a EIN if he has employees?
  8. Grahamslawncare

    Grahamslawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 143

    I don't have employees. When I was filling out all the paperwork they kept asking for an EIN so i had to get one of those. When I filled it out i checked no employees.
  9. twomancrew

    twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 940

    A TIN would have done it too, or you can use your SS#. Anything employee related needs an EIN from the IRS.

    "Inland Marine" I cannot explain the name. It covers your equipment. You guys are getting awesome insurance prices. I couldn't get those rates if I was married to an agent here in IA.
  10. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,837

    I was referring to if he has an INC or a LLC taxed S corp. Just simply stating that FL will want their share if so. Not talking about sales tax. You will need to register with the department of revenue for the State of Florida most likely. I had travelers without an equipment rider. I think I paid like 500ish with 2 employees 10% commercial 90% residential revenue. Adding equipment would have been like 1200 extra a year and I didn't feel the need to pay that at the time.

Share This Page