1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance rates on your vehicles

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zz4guy, May 2, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

What kinds of rates are you guys getting for your truck/trailer?

I am getting charged $450/yr for my 92 2500 and a 14' trailer. Liability only. I'm 27, single, homeowner, never had an accident. No tickets in last 5 years. Also no employees; I'm a solo part time operator.

The truck was only $200/yr when I insured it on my personal policy but it shot up to $400/yr when I told them I use it for business. It's $50/yr more for the trailer.

This is my biggest fixed cost after advertising and I have a feeling I'm getting raped. Why should it double? What are your rates for your trucks?

2. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

My 2003 pickup went from $360 per year to $420 per year for business -

That's with 100k/300K liability and collision/comprehensive

What my hardest hit was my commercial liability and equipment insurance......

(that includes my trailer with the truck)

3. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, WITH collision/comp huh? I am getting raped. Gonna have to do some shopping...

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow .. I wish mine was under a grand .... my quad cab full cover include trailer n equip is $1600 per year with Progressive ...not too many carriers down here fore lawn guys on vehicle

I do have a 1M coverage ...due to my UPS contract ..n they pay extra fore this ....about 1/3 my yearly bill is added "extra" onto them

5. caddison

caddison LawnSite Member

Anytime you have a commercial exposure your rate will reflect the exposure. In a commercial exposure you are out more, may have more frequent stops and more exposure in more areas. There is also a difference for business use vs commercial. Depending on the area and the use rate can vary a lot.