Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hobbsd, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. hobbsd

    hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi
    Messages: 448

    I have operated without insurance for the past years, I have only worked by myself and my clients trust me. This year I am majorly expanding and will be hiring several people and will definitley need insurance. Can anyone make some suggestions as to what I should get. I am using state farm for all of my vehicles right now.
  2. K.Carothers

    K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,124

    1m general liability. Commercial vehicle insurance, insurance on your trailer and insurance for your equipment and don't forget disability insurance.As far as employees, talk to your CPA-that's a new ballgame to enter.
    Be prepared to get flamed for not having insurance from all the "legit" LCO's that started from day 1 with ALL the proper insurance for everything.

  3. hobbsd

    hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi
    Messages: 448

    a few other opinions please!
  4. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,586

    i have 1 mil liability for 375 a year, my equipment insurance is being added to that as we speak, shouldnt be too much more, up till late in the year i didnt have anything really worth insuring.....

  5. slebeau20

    slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA
    Messages: 103

    There are insurance companies out there that will put your truck, equipment, and liability under one plan. I looked and looked for the best deal and still ended up spending just a little more to get that option. My plan is a 1 million with a 2 million umbrella. Not one commercial property has commented on the amount. My residential customers don't ever ask if I'm spending money on insurance.
  6. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    My residential customers never ask me but the few commercial clients I have bid on require it. You cant go wrong with 1million in general liabilty. You may also want to look into insurance for your equipment as well as plow insurance. I am waiting to get a quote from nationwide.........
  7. cklands

    cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA
    Messages: 360

    You are going to need General Liability, Workers Comp, and a commercial auto policy. It kills you to pay them but you'll be happy that you have them when something happens. Besides the rest of us have to pay them(well almost all of us)

Share This Page