1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Insurance???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bladelawn, Mar 12, 2007.

1. bladelawn

bladelawn LawnSite Member

What kind of insurance do you all have? What kind of deal did you get, with what company, etc... Any info would be appreciated. I am trying to decide on a plan.

2. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

1 million liability and about 15,000 equipment coverage. Find a company that specializes in construction or service industry insurance. Not the same as your house or car usually. Mine runs $358 per year.

3. Rizzo

from Iowa

Thats with Grinnell Mutual and I'm a solo operator...

4. bladelawn

bladelawn LawnSite Member

Thanks. Are they a local company, or do you think I could get them up here? (Im around Minneapolis).

5. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

State Farm handles all my insurance....cars, homeowners, etc. I just called them up. They did say something about not usually taking on new clients in this field. But I am a long-time client and there were some other factors, so they took me. My total premium for a year was right around $600. That included a $million liability...20k equipment and for an extra $23 a year some kind of trailer insurance. She said the trailer was basically covered as an extension of my auto policies but this provided coverage for theft or additional coverage for an accident were the trailer was a major factor or something. They have always done great by me, so I have not focused a lot of time or worry on this issue. She said I was good to go across the board....that's good enough for me...

6. Rizzo

from Iowa

I'm not sure if they insure out of state or not. I use State Farm for everything else and I have been with them forever but they were outrageous for business insurance. In Iowa they were more than double what I found and that did not include the equipment! Look for an independant insurance agent and they should have a better idea whats available for you.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I have Zurich contractor's liability, 1 mil and some pitiful little bit on equipment. Lot's of independent agents sell it and it was all I could find here. Would love to go with Grinnell because I pay over twice as much.

8. Primetime-SRQ

Primetime-SRQ LawnSite Member

I just got insurance last week (finally biz is growing):clapping:
    I got 1 mil with a max of 2mil for a whopoing $532 clams a year.. I'll find the info for you tomorrow, they are a Florida based company, but I am sure they have an underwritterin your area.

Just start calling around and getting estimates. I went all thru the yellow pages until I came across this company. So companies were just insanely over priced with less coverage even.

9. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I went to State Farm,,,,No Go
    The 3 companies I talked to all quoted $1,000
    for 1 Million, 20K on equipment

Where are you all finding $450.00 ????

The good news is that State Farm only charged 150/Yr to change my truck from personal to buisness coverage

Alan

10. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

They didn't charge me anything. They said it was rated the same.