1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tknoel, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. tknoel

    tknoel LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    This is my first post to this site, but I am loving what I have read so far. I am hoping that someone out there could be of some assistance as to where to look for insurance for my small lawncare business?
  2. jbannick18

    jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 490

    I went with national group insurance for my liability and equipment insurance. I pay something like 580 for the year. I've seen cheaper but for now it will do just fine.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    tknoel - I am just about through my first growing season in the business and I went with an independent agent in my hometown for my General Liability coverage (500K per occurance/1 mil agg). Company is Grinnell Mutual, and I pd $138.00 annual. I choose not to cover my equipment and take that risk on myself (I do not have a ton of $$ in equip right now). I would advise you to visit an independent agent or two for a quote on GL and Property coverage.
  4. Gilligan

    Gilligan LawnSite Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 37

    In most circumstances your best avenue is to seek out an independant insurance agent. Usually the smaller agencies are going to be more helpful than the larger ones which tend to only handle large accounts..

    If your lucky enough to find a CIC (Certified Insurance Counselor) they tend to be very well versed in commercial coverages.

    The coverages usually available to you are:

    Commercial General Liability (When people, other than employees sue you)
    Workers Compensation
    Inland Marine (Your Equipment)
    Commercial Auto (Keep in mind, many personal auto policies don't
    cover business exposures)
    Life Insurance
    Property Insurance (Items at your office, homeowners insurance limits
    business property)
    Umbrella (When you become Big!)
    Health Insurance

    If you can find a company writing a BOP (Business Owners Policy)
    This type of policy will package the General Liability and Property together and the coverages are much broader than stand alone policies...plus the premium is cheap....

    Good luck...seek out an expert...because if an when a large claim occurs, you will want a company with Deep pockets standing behind you....saying...those wonderful words.... " Relax Your Covered"
  5. jphag

    jphag LawnSite Member
    Messages: 219

    How much coverage do you get for $580? Do they specialize in the green industry?
  6. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    get quotes from as many as you can......

    sometimes it does pay to shop around..

Share This Page