1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .


Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Shaving Acres, Apr 20, 2013.

  1. Shaving Acres

    Shaving Acres LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I had a builder ask for a copy of my insurance. What kind of insurance do I need in NC to work in the commercial industry?
  2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

    CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,017

    He's probably referring to your liability insurance.
  3. TeamYardsale4

    TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 325

    Most commercial properties up here require $1m liability coverage to even look at a bid
  4. Ben Harris

    Ben Harris LawnSite Member
    Messages: 52

    You need at minimum general liability insurance and possibly worker's compensation.

    I am in NC and all our commercials ask for liability some want to see the worker's comp papers as well. They are both a must haVE if you want serious commercial clients.
  5. windflower

    windflower LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,099

    If you don't have workers comp coverage for you it will be added to his premium when he is audited at policy renewal.
    That's why he wants the certificate.
  6. rootytalbot

    rootytalbot LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 273

    You might need to enclose a copy of your GL, made out to builders (clients) name, with your bid. Certificate of Insurance is what they call it.
    If you have any employees or use Subs you might be required to provide Workers Comp as well.
    Now is a good time to learn some terminology from your agent. Ask questions. A good agent is like a good equipment dealer - invaluable.
    Its also good to know what type of policy you have. In some instances, if the policy is dropped, and there is no policy in effect, you will would not be covered for past occurrences. For instance, if you get a better price and cancel, then at a later date you get a suit filed against you, OOPS.
  7. rootytalbot

    rootytalbot LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 273

    I think you can waive your Work Comp with the state board of commerce and insurance when you are solo. Then the client will have certificate to show at audit - and will not be assessed for your labor. I know it is that way in TN, and may be similar in NC. Work Comp on yourself is costly if you have health insurance already.
    When I was building we had to have an I-18 form (waiver) for every subcontractor that was a solo, and it had to be notarized. I would give guys the form and tell them to go sign it and have it notarized and they never would, so I paid the 50 bucks, and got my own Notary Public so that I could stamp it for them. It was a pain, but at least back then (90's), you had freedom of choice when insurance was involved.
  8. OnaLawn

    OnaLawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 63

    You are correct I am solo and have my workers comp waived.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page