1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting link about CGM

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by CT John, May 25, 2004.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

I was hoping some of the brain-trust here can shed some light on this research from ISU. Basically, this link about CGM shows that unless you apply it at 40#/1000 sq ft you will not see any improvement in terms of the CGM's ability to control weed seed germination. It also states that CGM is 10% N and it breaks it down that at 40#/1000 this is equivalent to 4#/1000 of N. Now, what confuses me is that this flies in the face of conventional wisdom that tells us that most turfgrass species only require about 2-4# of N per 1000 annually. It also shows that on some test plots they applied it at an equivalent of 12# of N annually. :eek: Do nitrogen requirements just not apply to organics? Your thoughts?

http://turfgrass.hort.iastate.edu/pubs/turfrpt/2000/cgmongoing.html

2. Tim G

Tim G LawnSite Member

The first time I applied cgm I did it at a rate of 20#lbs per k. It stunk up the yards I did for about a week. I looked for a dead animal in mine. At that rate the soil couldnt breath is what I believe. You need a good microbe population for it to work best. I use it more as a fertilizer that a germination supressant, if weeds dont grow its just a bonus.

3. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

I've used corn gluten for years and my understanding is that fungi that break down the CGM are responseable for the "pre-m" "effect". I don't think too highly of it- I would love to say it works so good it's off the hook!