Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted about this property before. BIG place; several acres, 4 car garage attached to BIG house, fountain in front of house, tennis court, in ground pool, etc. Takes 1 1/2 hrs for 2 people on big riders to just cut.

I worked at this place for a friend cutting the grass with his daughter. He got $75 for it each week :dizzy: He and his daughter got into a fight and she no longer cuts the lawns for him. About a month ago I went with him to cut the grass. He never went back after that because he realized that he had underbid it, and because of the horrid drainage problem. Before his daughter quit, we had taken the homeowner's lawn mower with us to get it fixed as per his request. My friend still had the lawnmower at his house and I offered to return it to the homeowner. He was fine with that. So today I brought the mower over to this guy's house. The man who works there told me to come back later, because apparently the homeowner had somebody come in 2 weeks ago to cut 3 weeks worth of growth, but that guy wasn't coming back. So a bit later I talked with the homeowner. It turns out that we both went to the same college. He wanted to know what happened with my friend and I explained the situation about the money and offered to re-bid it. I told him $300 to cut the place every week, and to do half the trimming each week. He wanted to know about cleaning up some weeds in the driveway and I told him $150 just to spray them with Round-up. Long story short, I think he was more interested in having me do the work than my friend. Now my friend has helped me out a bunch of times when I was in jams and doesn't ask for anything in return.

So what do you all think? Would it be wrong of me to take this account? My friend quit because he wasn't getting enough for the lawn, and wasn't getting the side work he wanted. I was able to get it after 10 minutes talking with the guy.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
I would go for it...I look at it this way, your friend had the opportunity to rebid it or talk to the homeowner about the situation, which he did not.

If your friend gets mad at you for taking it, just tell him, "hey you had the opportunity, but you passed it down, nothing personal its just business."

·
Registered
60 Posts
take it,let your friend help you and pay him $100/week...Only reason I say pay him that is because 1)he'll but making more than what he was doing it himself and 2)since you're trying to be nice about it because he's a friend,this will make everybody happy... He can't really get mad at you for that,so if you're worried about pleasing him thats my solution

I don't see why you would pass it up

·
Registered
237 Posts
He quit, so obviously he didn't want to do it. Doesn't sound like there was any bad feelings between him and the owner, so I wouldn't worry about it. It would be different if the owner fired him or if he left for reasons other than his own.

I don't think I would let him work at the account. If I was the homeowner and came home and found the other guy doing the work and I was paying you more, I think I would be pretty upset. Or maybe he would feel like he was played for more money and still has the same guy doing the work. Either way, it doesn't seem right to have him working there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by drobson

I don't think I would let him work at the account. If I was the homeowner and came home and found the other guy doing the work and I was paying you more, I think I would be pretty upset. Or maybe he would feel like he was played for more money and still has the same guy doing the work. Either way, it doesn't seem right to have him working there.
good point,I retract my statements lol... but take the account

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Take the job. It's not like it's an ex girlfriend!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Take the job and do it solo. If you need a bigger mower, buy one. That job alone will pay it off. As far as your friend goes, live and learn. Whatever you do, don't use your friend on that account. I'm with drobson on this one. Could end up costing you a nice account.

Don't forget to use a written contract.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you don't take the account someone else will.
After bidding on it, if you don't take the account, the owner isn't going to have anything good to say about you, in case anyone should ask.

Your friend should not go back to assist with this account. Water could start getting muddy with issues.

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am leaving out a couple of key parts here. When I was cutting the lawn for my friend, we would never trim... because that was the deal... just cut the grass don't trim anything. I figure to cut and trim would take 2 guys, 3 hrs or a bit under that. When I spoke with the homeowner today I said that I would re-bid it for my friend if he would like. Other than those things though, my description is pretty right on. I probably did act as though I was working for myself, however I did not mention that I have my own company. I spoke to him about some much larger $$$ work before I left. Before I left he said that he would talk to his wife and maybe they would do the whole thing. He asked for my number or my friend's number... I was reluctant to give him my number, however I did so once he showed little interest in taking my friend's number. He said that they would get in touch with me. I would be really suprised if I don't hear from him by the end of the week.

·
Registered
975 Posts
fblandscape, get your friend out of the equation. It's obvious that the homeowner is more interested in dealing with you. It seems that your friend may end up screwing up the account again. If that happens he won't want either of you working for him, and he won't hesitate on hiring another company. Next time you talk to him just explain that you own your own lawn company and you're interested in taking over the account. His hesitation is probably based on whether or not he can trust your friend to fulfill his obligation. After all, what he did was extremely unprofessional. You may have to reconsider your position, and stop working with him all together. People will start associating your company with him and his work ethic. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Like someone said. Tke it or someone else will

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to take a ride over there today at about lunch time. Once I had my stomach full I drove past the place only to see that somebody was there mowing with a w/b. I turned around up the road and was going to head back home. After passing the house again I said to myself "I am not a -----" and turned around again. Pulled into the driveway and talked with the homeowner. Guy was happy to see me, however he didn't want to use my friend. He said that he would like to deal with me though, so I told him I do my own thing on the side. The guy who was cutting there today he has used in the past. Of course within 5 min of pulling into the driveway I was hired for $300 per week. Old guy got the boot. I also have to go there on Monday to do some spraying :) Hopefully one day soon I will be able to walk the property with the man and his wife... LOTS of work to do at this place. :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
FBLANDSCAPE - congratulations.... A lot of guys would do as you ALMOST DID (drive away) and then complain about the whole situation. YOUR going back and discussing the job with the homeowner got you the account again congratulations.
BobR

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Bob. My best friend tells me that he would definately use me as a salesman if he needed to hire one. The reason for that is because I don't care who the heck the person is, if I want to work for them I will pretty much come out and ask them about doing work.

AWM, I am going to have to find a good way to talk this out with my friend. That is pretty much why I started this thread. Not because of the account itself, but because of the strain it might put on my relationship with my friend.

·
Registered
477 Posts
FB....

First..... congrats on the new account, and good luck with it.

Second..... I think in your situation, I would tell my friend that when I returned his machine, We talked, and he was looking to hire someone, but was unhappy with him......... Explain that the homeowner approached/addressed YOU about the work...... and as someone else said.... If you didn't get the account, someone else would have, and we can be pretty sure it wouldn't be your friend.

Just make sure to discuss this with your friend ASAP so that he hears from you about it first!

·
Registered
76 Posts
While I am not always the most tactile, just explain that when you returned the mower the owner talked with you about the lawn, since HE chose not return rather than speak with the owner about the problem, the owner did not want him to do the work. If your friend has any sense he will understand homeowners side, and yours is simply business if you don't someone else will. jmo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.