1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Invisible Fences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

As i was walking through a rich neighborhood today, i couldnt help but notice the several "political" signs in peoples yards for invisible pet fencing. Does anyone here do that? It seems like a GREAT profit maker, and not that much overhead to get into. This must be a good idea because the business comes to you, if you simply add it on to the truck lettering/trailer.

ANY RESPONSE?

Trevor

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Not sure what the mark up is but they are real easy to do. We put one in at our house a couple of years ago, works great. Did it ourselves and trained the dog in about a week. I believe that the "Underground Fence" company around here trains the dog as well as installs the fence.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

It is easy, and doesnt take long. On the signs it said *any lawn $700. (*almost any lawn) That is awesome for two maybe three hours of work. I will do it next year, because i have everything printed for this year, and wouldnt know where to get the materials. Training the dog is easy. Put the zapper on 'em and let em go! They;ll learn. I am going to research it.

Trevor

4. Trevors Lawn Care

I just looked at only one website and for a 25 acre range it was 137.99. That doesnt seem bad.

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

They are not a huge market for Electronic Dog Fences in this area.

The few that I have put in I charged 10 cents per foot.

I made a V shaped plow from an old wore out mower blade, two steele pusher wheels and two pieces of 1 1/2" piece of square tubing. It basically looks and works as a sulky when attached to the walk behind mower. It will plow an opening about 2 inches wide and 3 inches deep. Once the ditch is dug. Just drop in the wire and stamp the ground back together.

One of the easiest ways I have found to get cost of doing such a service without flat out asking. Is to have them come over and give me an estimate of what it would cost to do the job. Then I have a base price to go on when decision time comes as to weither I want to start offering the service myself.

Edit:
    If they coustmer can wait or you wish to stock up on a couple of fences. Northern Tool has them for $99.99 + Shipping. I have installed two of them and they do just a good of job as the ones that come from Lowes that sales for $149.00 locally.

You can check them out below.

Electronic Dog Fence

6. Trevors Lawn Care

ya digging the ditch would be easy with a plow like you made. An acre job would take about as long as it does to walk it off. I bet you could do them 30 in a day if they were all right next door to each other. Thats some good money. I am glad i handed out fliers today. Good way to set myself apart.

trevor