iPhone footage: Outdoor Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Oct 19, 2018.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Very nice James.

2. wyrenutz

wyrenutz LawnSite Member
    from Canada

This was taken with my iPhone XS with an app called phototoaster. It allows you to control focal, shutter, etc. much like my Nikon 810. Not too sure how the picture will look on here.

61098A63-CA0A-4D1D-9E25-B2E73F39B111.jpeg

hort101 and Mike M like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

Have you tried it yet with an iPhone 7 or greater? It's mind-blowing how it can capture so much of the tonal range, even in video. I leave my dslr at home gathering dust.

The newer iPhones combined with a little boost from the sunset can generate an image closely to what the human eye sees in person. The pics look great. It's 95% of my web content. No photoshop. No video composition editing.

Consider it, at the very least, for social media and blog content. It's easier than fumbling with a dslr, expensive lenses, subscribing to Adobe, etc.

Just my two cents :)

4. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

Consider it, at the very least, for social media and blog content. It's easier than fumbling with a dslr, expensive lenses, subscribing to Adobe, etc.

Just my two cents :)

No thanks, I'm good. I owned an iToy for about 4 months... hated the damn thing. Im solid with my $10K Canon rig. :) PostCard.jpg

Mike M likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mike M

from usa

Have you used that camera for video?

Google has me at number one organic since I began posting just a couple clips.

If anyone has some video footage of lighting jobs, please share here. Thx!

hort101 likes this.
  6. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

No I haven't tried it for video (yet) but I should. The Canon EOS 5D Mark III is hugely popular with pro-video producers.

Mike M likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mike M

from usa

Yep, I may eventually get a video-capable dslr. But at this point I am being blown away by iPhone and GoPro footage. It's all quite usable stuff for Adobe Premier, After Effects, iMovie, etc.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

For true night video footage, no phone or DSLR can match the performance of the Sony A7Sii. You would have to get into professional production cameras such as a RED or equivalent to match the dynamic range of the Sony. It is the kink of low light video in its class.

9. OP
    OP
    Mike M

from usa

You take the best pics, Tim, I would love to see some of your evening video footage!!