Irma

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Todd73, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

Who's bugging out, who's staying, who's undecided?

Wife and her friend are looking up hotels, so I think we're leaving.

2. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

Best of luck be safe out there my prayers are for you guys in the Florida Louisiana and Texas area

RDALawns and hort101 like this.
  3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Hoping and praying that everyone stays safe. I'm in East Texas and we can expect lots of rain and possible tornadoes if it hits Florida.Best case would be it doesn't hit the coast at all. Hopefully it will weaken before it makes it to the coast. Cat 5 is almost unheard of . All the politicians that say we don't have global warming need to look at the weather patterns and wake up.

hort101 likes this.
  4. KLC Lawns

KLC Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

You going to try to get a head of schedule before you leave? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do, won't be leaving but how much work to do ahead of time etc. It's going to take a day or two for me to get my personal things and help family get prepared if it does indeed look like it's coming best us. Any time preparing is time not working which customers will understand but still.... Right now projections aren't showing a direct hit on us (Pensacola) but who knows.

KUMA01 likes this.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If you are thinking about staying. Check out what Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew did to Homestead Fla back in 1992. Winds as high as 165 mph when it hit Fla. Top speed 175 out in the Atlantic. $26.5 billion in damage. Like a buzz saw going through butter.
    Then there was Cat 5 Hugo that hit Charleston SC 1989 with 140 mph winds. Top winds 162 out in the Atlantic. Knocked down entire forest. 10 $ billion in damage

Taking a huge chance by staying. You just never know when the weather guessers might get one right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

http://fortune.com/2017/09/05/hurricane-andrew-photo-damage/

DXN1EL, KUMA01, JLSLLC and 2 others like this.
  6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Charles. A cat 5 is no joke. Heck the cat 1 we had last October did a lot of damage. If the storm heads this way my wife is getting out. Not sure what I'm doing yet. You guys in Florida please heed the warnings and stay safe. It's a long drive out of Florida if you are sitting in traffic.

sjessen, RDALawns, hort101 and 3 others like this.
  7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

No getting ahead. I took Monday off, so I'm still playing catch up. Should be on schedule by the end of the day, if I don't get rained out. I don't think we'll bug out until Saturday morning, so that gives us a bit of time for prep. Wife will handle the packing, I get the outdoors for shutters, bringing in patio furniture, etc. Still haven't decided where we're going to go.

KUMA01 likes this.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Now more models are showing it heading straight for you after it hits Fla

KUMA01 likes this.
  9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Was watching the news and Florida is leaving, heard something like airports are shutting down etc. So like others said take this one seriously this time. Hang in there

sjessen and KUMA01 like this.
  10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hope the best for you guys.

sjessen and RDALawns like this.