Irma

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Todd73, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Why sharpen ? with all the crap on the ground .

oqueoque and sjessen like this.
  2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say that I've seen that, but I'm in an area where there is little rail freight. Sounds like a good idea though.

Most power companies keep a fair stock of the simplest things. But regional shortages of stuff like transformers does happen.

Do you have a 14" bastard file? You'd be surprised at how fast a sharp file can remove steel. ;)

I use kerosene to heat my garage, so I always have enough to keep the couple of Dietz lanterns I have burning for months on end.

oqueoque, hort101 and Charles like this.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Good ideas on the file and lantern

hort101 likes this.
  4. Charles

I am raking/picking the crap up first. Just piles of stick to big to mow over

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've watched enough Roy Underhill to know that being stuck with only hand tools doesn't always have to be as debilitating as it would seem at first. It just takes sharp tools, a strong arm, good technique and some patience and stamina. I've touched up my mower blades with a file in the past when I didn't feel like dealing with the grinding dust and noise, though It's not something I'd be resorting to if they looked really bad. And I wouldn't even consider sharpening my chainsaw blades with anything other than a file.

As for the lantern, we'll I've got a lot of experience with power outages. We'll hang a kerosene lantern from the dining room chandelier with an S hook. It's not going to provide a working light to the downstairs, but it does keep you from stubbing your toes, and cuts out 90% of your flashlight battery drain, so you can use them only when you need to.

My upstairs bathroom fan's nightlight bulb is wired into a UPS with a small LED bulb. That provides enough light to my upstairs hallway to get around. And then we'll put a candle in the downstairs bathroom.

I also tend to do a lot of my gardening and automotive work at night (that's when I have the time), so I've got all sorts of lighting options at my fingertips. Though I sometimes wonder what the neighbors think of me walking around with a shovel and headlamp...

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously. I felt like I was driving a zero turn wood chipper today!

rlitman, oqueoque, RDALawns and 3 others like this.
  7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Also cleaning up first is much better for the mower not to mention others in the area or homes that may be hurt/damaged with flying debris.

oqueoque, Charles and hort101 like this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Stay strong
    You making some Xtrapayup
    :weightlifter:

oqueoque and Charles like this.
  9. JustinFL

JustinFL LawnSite Member

Well I made out alright. I'm alive and still have a home lol. The track went further inland than expected and weakened to a cat 2 once it hit my area so it wasn't that bad and no real storm surge. Really seems like the whole state caught a huge break. Some localized areas got hit bad, but for the most part it's just downed trees and some power lines etc. Tons of work to do for cleanup though. Debris from trees and shrubs is everywhere. Getting gas to operate is an issue though it seems. Really seems like the worst damage for the majority of people is just the total inconvenience Irma caused. Mass power outages, horrible cell phone service, no gas, grocery supplies etc. But I can't even complain, it could've been 100x worse.

oqueoque, RDALawns, Charles and 2 others like this.
  10. Charles

The last yard, I was just too tired to care. Picked up some then it was wood chipper city:laugh:

oqueoque and RDALawns like this.