Lawn Care Forum banner

Iron Sucrate

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Rayholio 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
Hey, I like using fe but I shy away from non-liquid apps. because of the staining. I have used granular blends with iron sucrate before that don't stain concrete. I know that it is not as effective as iron chelate, but it still seems to help, I think. My Lesco rep says iron sucrate does absolutely nothing, but look good on the label.
Have any of you used iron sucrate? What results did you get? Anyone know of a state Ag school that has tested it with chelated iron?
Thanks.

#2 ·
LawnTamer

IMHO Suricate does help Microbe population. However the amount of Suricate on Fe alone is so small that their is very little effect. The purpose of the suricate is for slow release of the Iron.

A few years ago I read a university report that Iron Oxide is now believed to have better response than previously believed. I have found that it is the combination of elements that give the best response. I use Chelated Iron in a spray cocktail and get quick response that last 6 to 8 weeks. Spraying or Granules alone is not the best program. A combination of both might be.

#3 ·
I think on Bermuda lawns you will see a different. But a St. Aug u want see as
big of different. I would just experiment and see what works. Like Ric said u
have to try it for yourself u may figure out a cocktail that works for u.

#4 ·
To the three above post:

Why are you applying the iron?
to correct soil defiency?
to help with stress?
to make turfgrass greener? with less N?
other?

#5 ·
To the three above post:

Why are you applying the iron?
to correct soil defiency?
to help with stress?
to make turfgrass greener? with less N?
other?
Here's why I apply iron.

1. I have a lot of sandy soils and I do see fe deficiency.

2. N causes more growth than fe, we mow about 1/3 of our spraying accounts, with the bulk of the balance being mowed by the homeowner so the more I can curb the post application growth spurt.

3. I get a darker, richer green w/ fe than I do with N, Ph, Pk alone.

What I'm really after with this thread is trying to find a non-staining granular fe that really works. I do 3 liquid apps and 3 granular apps/year and i want to include fe in those too, but I don't want to blow every walk, drive, curb and stone.

#7 ·
Iron sucrate is popular because it doesn't stain concrete as badly as Iron oxide. This is probaby why it doesn't make grass green.

To have any impact on cool season turf the Nitrogen to Iron ratio should be 4:1 (or greater) which almost no one offers. Likewise the iron has to be available which in my experience the sucrate is NOT.

Ric, do you have a link to that Edu oxide study? I'd like to see it.

#8 ·
Iron sucrate is popular because it doesn't stain concrete as badly as Iron oxide. This is probaby why it doesn't make grass green.

To have any impact on cool season turf the Nitrogen to Iron ratio should be 4:1 (or greater) which almost no one offers. Likewise the iron has to be available which in my experience the sucrate is NOT.

Ric, do you have a link to that Edu oxide study? I'd like to see it.
Steve

It has been as least 3 years ago when I read that. Sorry I no long remember where to even start looking. I have been the Ferrous Sulfate route and have no desire to return to it. I am currently using Chelated Iron 12-0-0 6% Fe 4% Mn and buying it in 55 gallon drums at under $ 4.00 a gallon.

#9 ·
Steve

It has been as least 3 years ago when I read that. Sorry I no long remember where to even start looking. I have been the Ferrous Sulfate route and have no desire to return to it. I am currently using Chelated Iron 12-0-0 6% Fe 4% Mn and buying it in 55 gallon drums at under $ 4.00 a gallon.
That's what I use,with my liquid apps. Have you found a pump that works well and stands up to the corrosive nature of that stuff, I went through 2 last year.

#11 ·
That's what I use,with my liquid apps. Have you found a pump that works well and stands up to the corrosive nature of that stuff, I went through 2 last year.
Lawn Tamer

I find spray-able Ferrous Sulfate has such a bad stain factor on concrete that I just don't want to use it any more. I used it for years and always heard how hard it was on pumps. However I don't think it caused any of my pump problems. Oxalic acid will Clean fertilizer stains with out etching the surfaces of material to be cleaned.

#12 ·
Lawn Tamer

I find spray-able Ferrous Sulfate has such a bad stain factor on concrete that I just don't want to use it any more. I used it for years and always heard how hard it was on pumps. However I don't think it caused any of my pump problems. Oxalic acid will Clean fertilizer stains with out etching the surfaces of material to be cleaned.
I should have been more specific, I mean a hand pump to remove the iron from the 55 gal drum.

#14 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong... but if you sufficiantly clear their sidewalks, and driveways, what is the fear of staining? (At least w/ granular) I've never had iron stain, but I spend a little extra time on cleanup..
I've used Lesco granular products for years, many contain iron, and I can't say that I'm 100% on getting the hard surfaces cleaned off, and Iv'e never seen so much as a spot of rust. Other than what was already there from the homeowner applying some other brand.

I see more staining on walks and white vinal from LIQUID iron apps than anything. I'm not personally applyig that, another company, and it's easy to tell when he's been there...

#15 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong... but if you sufficiantly clear their sidewalks, and driveways, what is the fear of staining? (At least w/ granular) I've never had iron stain, but I spend a little extra time on cleanup..
Ray

I am spraying the Iron sulfate and over spray becomes a factor. If I don't apply it close enough I get a stripe of yellow green grass instead on Dark Green grass. Therefore I must spray a no more than 4" from any surface.

Adding Citric Acid to my tank mix, I get a little less staining and a lot more usable iron on my high pH soil.

#17 ·
Adding Citric Acid to my tank mix, I get a little less staining and a lot more usable iron on my high pH soil.
What's your avg. soil ph? Mine is around 7.5, sometimes as high as 8. Where do you get the citric acid and how much do you add?

#18 ·
is liquid that much better than granular Iron? Price / Effectivness??
Ray

Each has their advantage and disadvantage. Sorry I am unable to write a book for you about this at this time. Please re read post # 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.