1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Irrigation exam

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Tommy Payne, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Tommy Payne

Tommy Payne LawnSite Member

Ok I have a question. I took my 40hour class through sundance irrigation training in Keller, Tx. about 8 yrs ago but never went to take the exam. I've been given the opportunity to get my test. Can I just take a refresher course and then take the test or do I have to take the whole 40hour class over. Thanks

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Refresher and then take exam

3. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I’d call TCEQ and speak with someone to find out for sure. We have to do CE to renew our licenses and certifications so I find it unlikely that a certification for taking the irrigator’s class would be good indefinitely.
    Then again, I’ve been known to be wrong.....

DXN1EL and hort101 like this.
  4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't see anything on the TCEQ website or in the Texas Administrative Code that shows a time limit.
    I'd still call TCEQ to be sure, no sense in wasting your time sending in the application only to have it rejected.

hort101 and Outlawn like this.
  5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Just wondering how strictly is the licensing thing enforced in Texas?

6. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Knowledge is power-it can't hurt to take classes-it can only help. Good luck on the exam.

hort101 likes this.
  7. TX Easymoney

go here and then call or emailhttps://www.tceq.texas.gov/licensing/licenses/lilic#LOverview

8. TX Easymoney

depends on the location--- the majority of the agents who mete out the punishment are here in Austin....mostly the cities have enforcement through code enforcers looking for install permits etc and after-the- fact violations like poor maintenance leading to water waste/runoff etc and requiring an official audit by city authorized auditors--- i'd say not so strict

Outlawn likes this.
  9. Mr.Irrigation

Mr.Irrigation LawnSite Member

The laws have changed so much since I took my test back in '99. Back then if you failed any part of that test you had to take the whole test over.. Now you get to take the section you fail over. You know what section everyone fails is right??? Hydraulics . The other thing I didnt see anyone mention is this. I had to do a design in Austin when I did my test. Now days the design is done in the 40hr course. So the question for you is... did you do a design and was it turned into TCEQ? I dont know how that works bc as I said I took my test 20yrs ago and we all did the design then. I would not want to take that test again. Even tho the test is given like 13x's a yr in all the major cities, as opposed to 1999 when it was 3x's a yr and only in Austin. My thinking is you will need to retake the 40hr course bc You didnt mention the design part ....I assume you did not do your design portion of the test yet ... have you?

10. Mr.Irrigation

Mr.Irrigation LawnSite Member

I would say that SAWS in San Antionio and the water police in Austin are very strict. I took care of all the Target stores in South TX for a few yrs and I had 7 stores in Austin. The people who enforced water laws in Austin wrote ticket to Target often for missing or busted heads. And if there was a mainline leak in summer I had to be at that store in 2 days. Target had people who could shut down the system and stop the gushing. But repairs were needed quickly. I had 2 stored that had retention ponds. The one on MOPAC and the one in Bee Cave. These ponds injected water back into the Edwards Aquifer. .. It was very important that the rotors around the pond be working and working correct bc they were calibrated to remove the dirty water off the pond and use it to irrigate around said pond. The Austin inspectors watched these systems like hawk.