Irrigation guys...need help please

ron mexico75

LawnSite Silver Member
I was using a bed definer to redo some edges before mulching. Im going along an all of a sudden I hear this grinding noise. I look down and I hit and broke a section of pipe around 18-20 inches long. Whoever put in this guys irrigation had the pipe running right along side the mulch bed edge where you would normally cut to re-edge before mulching. To top it off, the pipe was buried around 2-3 inches deep.

I do landscaping and really don't know anything about irrigation. I worked at a nursery before and remember fixing a small section of pipe that was broke with something called a slip joint. However, I don't know if that can be used for a section of pipe that needs to be replaced that's 18-20 inches long. This is the normal run of the mill neighborhood irrigation. Is it 3/4" pipe or 1"?

Could someone explain to me the best way to fix this and what parts do I need? I know to prime the inside and outside of the connection then glue and then twist it slightly. Thanks.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Slip fix on a pipe 2-3 inches deep is not a good idea. Dig enough of the pipe up so you can bend your repair piece in using two couplings only.

OP
ron mexico75

ron mexico75

LawnSite Silver Member
Slip fix on a pipe 2-3 inches deep is not a good idea. Dig enough of the pipe up so you can bend your repair piece in using two couplings only.
ok so FIMCO-MEISTER'S idea would be good if this was at a decent depth. But, because its so shallow and a slip fix is a pretty fat piece compared to the existing pipe, is that why its not good? Just trying to learn.

Kiril: so just trying to be clear, since a slip joint isn't being used, I'm going
to have to slighty bend or "bow" the section being repaired in order to to make the last connection fit on?

I'll try to post a pic late this afternoon.

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
Where are you located? just asking, becuz in some states you have to be a licensed irrigation contractor in order to even do repairs.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
ok so FIMCO-MEISTER'S idea would be good if this was at a decent depth. But, because its so shallow and a slip fix is a pretty fat piece compared to the existing pipe, is that why its not good? Just trying to learn.
Yes, but I personally try to avoid slip fixes whenever possible.

Kiril: so just trying to be clear, since a slip joint isn't being used, I'm going
to have to slighty bend or "bow" the section being repaired in order to to make the last connection fit on?
You need to have enough pipe exposed so you can pull up on both sides and bend one side into the other, assuming dinky pipe here. Not an ideal way to make a good solvent weld, but it is better than a slip fix any day of the week if you do it right.