Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn more about irrigation and decided to start by actually fixing one of the solenoids on mine. Anyways, the pipe that is shaped in an upsided down U above ground with a shut off valve, What is that used for? Does that help in some way with backflow prevention? Anyways, My sistem has five zones, 2 in front, 3 in back. I found the manifold box for the backyard no problem but cannot find the one in front. I thought I knew where it was and was digging there but couldn't find it. I don't want to dig all the way from the shut off valve until I find it so I was trying to find a short cut. The upside down U shaped thing is in the walk way from my front to back yard. I was thinking that that might, in some way, isolate the front and back yard. Could that be and if so wouldn't that mean that my manifold box for the front yard would be between that piping and the manual main shut off for the whole system? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

· Registered
287 Posts
I am trying to learn more about irrigation and decided to start by actually fixing one of the solenoids on mine. Anyways, the pipe that is shaped in an upsided down U above ground with a shut off valve, What is that used for? Does that help in some way with backflow prevention? Anyways, My sistem has five zones, 2 in front, 3 in back. I found the manifold box for the backyard no problem but cannot find the one in front. I thought I knew where it was and was digging there but couldn't find it. I don't want to dig all the way from the shut off valve until I find it so I was trying to find a short cut. The upside down U shaped thing is in the walk way from my front to back yard. I was thinking that that might, in some way, isolate the front and back yard. Could that be and if so wouldn't that mean that my manifold box for the front yard would be between that piping and the manual main shut off for the whole system? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
The "U" thing, if brass, is probably a pressure vacuum breaker which provides backflow prevention for the whole system. Usually made by Wilkins, Febco or Watts, but maybe another brand.

The backflow preventer would be in-line ahead of any valves on the system, so its placement may give clues where your front yard box is, but the valves would not be between it and the water shutoff. Rather they would be downstream of it.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I belive it is the pressure breaker. It is just pvc nothing fancy and has a shutoff turn nob valve on top. Thanks that's what I was looking for for placement of box. I think they did a cheap job when they put in my system because it wasn't that well thought out. Thanks that helps and the search for the box continues.

· Registered
287 Posts
The "U" thing, if brass, is probably a pressure vacuum breaker which provides backflow prevention for the whole system. Usually made by Wilkins, Febco or Watts, but maybe another brand.

The backflow preventer would be in-line ahead of any valves on the system, so its placement may give clues where your front yard box is, but the valves would not be between it and the water shutoff. Rather they would be downstream of it.
post pics or provide more info

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a pressure vacuum breaker. Odds are, it is an antisiphon valve, which has zero functionality when mis-applied.
It is not an anti-syphon valve. It is simply pvc pipe coming up out of the ground, connected to an elbo then connected to a hand turnable valve (like on a hose faucet) and then to another elbo and back into the ground. I would make sense to be used for a backflow but there is no way of testing it.

· Registered
59,974 Posts
It is not an anti-syphon valve. It is simply pvc pipe coming up out of the ground, connected to an elbo then connected to a hand turnable valve (like on a hose faucet) and then to another elbo and back into the ground. I would make sense to be used for a backflow but there is no way of testing it.
Then it is a length of pipe, that's all. Not even imitation backflow. In the past, there might have been a PVB there.

· Registered
4,896 Posts
In our area, plastic is not allowed, nor is any backflow device that cannot be tested.
??? That means the newest Wilkins 375 series RPZs aren't allowed ???

I thought the idea behind them was to remove the body in winter.

(sorry, the only photo I could find had this watermark on it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.