1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Irrigation system: Who connects it to water supply?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jmk007, Jan 27, 2001.

  1. jmk007

    jmk007 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    I spent most of the summer last year contemplating the addition of irrigation system installation to our line of services.
    I'm wondering how you guys in the business handle the plumbing issues at the house. We're a small operation and of course we don't have the skills or licensing to tap into the water lines inside the house to run a line out to the valve box.
    I have a developer that I've been landscaping for that's been hounding me to add the service.
    How do you handle this part of the install if you don't have a plumber on staff?
    If it's subbed out, what do you ask them to do? And what costs are associated? Does the sub provide the parts (back flow devices, etc.)?
    Any additional thoughts, cautions, tips, would be greatly appreciated!
  2. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    I would think that tapping into the home water supply would be the easy part.
  3. Guido

    Guido LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,087

    I don't think its a matter of being difficult to do, but as you said you'll need to be licensed, etc. which is probobly not worth all the trouble you'd have to go through vs. subbing the final hook-up out to a plumber and an electrician. I think the main question is do you want to be responsible for the liability that comes with doing it yourself? I'm sure there will always be some complications that could happen.

    Maybe you could work out deals with a sub, and refer work both ways, ya know? It could be a prospourus relationship for everyone!

    Good Luck!
  4. capital

    capital LawnSite Member
    Messages: 118

    I think you need to look into building codes in Minnesota since that is were you are located. Also beaware that diffrent towns might have slightly diffrent codes on who does the hookup and back flow certification. Most irrigation companys here in Iowa use a plumber for the hookup and then have certified back flow people to cover startups and shut downs.
  5. rawrod

    rawrod LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    In Ohio you need a licensed plumber. He should pull the permits, supply valves... 1k price range.

    BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 519

    here in columbus ga ....main water line water taps MUST be done by a MASTER PLUMBER one with a certifacation....due to the fact of the high possibilty of drinking water contamination........they are required to in stall a one way check valve .........cost me $325.00 per tap include a
    brass ball valve,permit,box,check valve....the libility of contamination falls back on the plumber...city code.....it really dosent matter to me i just charge the customer for it make a little ...i know it done right and legal....and its fair because eveyone has to do it.....no biggie and my customers are safe.and i still make money on the install...
    the eletrcal part...well its low voltage i ussally find an esiting outlet and away i go....

    [Edited by BUSHMASTER on 01-29-2001 at 12:50 AM]
  7. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,930

    I always thought California code was tough, unless c-27 requirements are different in other area's. As long as I am following manufacture specs,I can legaly tie into existing water source for the house. You can't compare those great grand irrigation system that other's parts of the country uses. I guess that's the code difference.
  8. CCLC

    CCLC LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 261

    Here with city water, the city will come out and put in a 2nd line off of the main and a 2nd water meter. A lisc plumber brings the line out to the ground and then the irr guys put in the rest. We don't need permits unless...(as we found out this summer) you run a 2" line or bigger. They came out and threaten to shut the site done until we had a plumming permit. We quickly took care of the matter since we were only about 1/2 way through a 3 acre system.

Share This Page