1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is 45 bucks/hour too much?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Cameron McGehee, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Cameron McGehee

Cameron McGehee LawnSite Member

If I am by myself, then is 45hour good for leaf cleanups, pressure washing, etc? I have a customer who says I should charge something like 25 bucks an hour and i thought that was a little low...

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

No, if you are doing random jobs you got from Craigslist in your spare time with no equipment invested $25/hr is fine. It sounds like you don't know why you have to charge $45/hr if you are having trouble justifying it? Once you break down your equipment, vehicle, insurances, tax, advertising, your time spent estimating, maintenance and risk, $45/hr is probably close to what you will come to.

Why does a plumber or electrician charge $100/hr when the employees doing the work don't even make half that?

JaekayDesign and Bcoogan23 like this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

I'm by myself and bill $105 per hour for basic labor. Gardening work I'm at $125 per hour. Squirt and fert $125 per hour. These rates are for labor only.

The real question is do you know your cost of business? Have you figured out what your break even number is for a hour, day and week?

Bcoogan23, greennola, AL's and 2 others like this.
  4. Cameron McGehee

Haha
    Thanks! It was also quitell halarious to read the email of him saying that he was comparing me to the rate of day laborers off the street, as if they did better work than a pro. (Not saying I am one but I'm pretty good)

Bcoogan23 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well gas should be 97 cents a gallon and leaf blowers should be $250.
    Minimum wage should be 4.25, a chevy silverado should be 8 grand on the show room floor and your customer should STFU since this isn't 1984.

6. Cameron McGehee

That's about the funniest thing I've read all day

7. ZLCLawnCare

ZLCLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Customers do not set the prices....You Do!

Bcoogan23 and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Tell him he is welcome to get more bids, but this is what you charge

9. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

Why are you even telling him your hourly rate? I never tell my customers what they're paying hourly. Down here, I think most people think lawn guys should make less than a McDonald's employee. Just give the guy your price for the job, he can take it or "leaf" it!

JaekayDesign, Bcoogan23, iand and 7 others like this.
  10. Cameron McGehee

If I didn't tell my customers my rate then how the heck are they going to be confident that I'm not ripping them off?