Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
smallest ive driven is a 6X12 . and im concerned that backing up a smaller 4X8 trailer behind a 3/4 ton 4X4 truck is going to make the 4X8 more difficult to see in the mirrors and thusly control ?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting some marker flags up on the trailer corners may help you see where it is. With a 4x8 may be better off just unloading then unhook and move by hand
thanx the flags are an idea

Reactions: brydan and hort101

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. It will be a pain.
The real question is why you would need a 4x8 trailer behind a 3/4 ton truck..... that’s the same size as a standard bed.
reason is i dont want to roll a 48'' walk behind up n down ramps into my truck bed

• Love
Reactions: Cam15 and hort101

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, it will be difficult to see. I put a couple of driveway markers on my short utility trailer so I can tell where it is and what it is doing. Naturally, any trailer with a short tongue will react to input more quickly so by the time you see you need to 'correct' (when backing) it might be too late and you'll have to pull forward again.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it will be difficult to see. I put a couple of driveway markers on my short utility trailer so I can tell where it is and what it is doing. Naturally, any trailer with a short tongue will react to input more quickly so by the time you see you need to 'correct' (when backing) it might be too late and you'll have to pull forward again.

View attachment 518705
thats a good idea . going to do that on our 6X12's

Reactions: hort101

·
Registered
26,352 Posts
reason is i dont want to roll a 48'' walk behind up n down ramps into my truck bed
Imo it's too sketchy doing the ramp thing with wb mowers
I ramp the snow blower but it's lighter too

Small trailers are worse if you can't see out of back window ie towing with dump trucks or covered rear window trucks

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/QUOTE]
Imo it's too sketchy doing the ramp thing with wb mowers
I ramp the snow blower but it's lighter too

Small trailers are worse if you can't see out of back window ie towing with dump trucks or covered rear window trucks
exactly . too many iffy moments rolling equipment up / down ramps from my truck bed . want no part of doing that on a daily basis

Reactions: hort101

·
Registered
26,352 Posts
exactly . too many iffy moments rolling equipment up / down ramps from my truck bed . want no part of doing that on a daily basis
The main thing is the lower height of trailer makes about max grade for a ramp on a rainy day for me

One thing I don't care for is the small wheel barrow type tires some small trailers come with I'd rather have a real full size HD tire

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ok but a 48" on a 4x8 is going to be so tight...
I was always told, have an extra foot over top of the width of the machine.
So if your deck is 60" you want a 72" wide trailer.
Same with a 48" you'd want a 60" trailer, I'd see about a 5x10.

Easier to back up, and you have some extra space like in case you want to fit something else on there.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok but a 48" on a 4x8 is going to be so tight...
I was always told, have an extra foot over top of the width of the machine.
So if your deck is 60" you want a 72" wide trailer.
Same with a 48" you'd want a 60" trailer, I'd see about a 5x10.

Easier to back up, and you have some extra space like in case you want to fit something else on there.
good point thanx

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Try towing a 5x8 with a 1500 that has a cap on it. The back window of the truck was tinted and the front and rear glass of the cap was tinted.
Couldn't see anything - had to use mirrors.

Now that I'm using a Trailblazer to tow, I can back up with ease.
I did paint the top corners of the ramp yellow for added visibility. It helps.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Imo 5x10 is a much better sized trailer all around for not much $ difference. Sheets of plywood/drywall/mulch- all do able with a 5x10 but you’ll have a hard time getting the landscaping yards to eagerly load up a 4x8

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Try towing a 5x8 with a 1500 that has a cap on it. The back window of the truck was tinted and the front and rear glass of the cap was tinted.
Couldn't see anything - had to use mirrors.

Now that I'm using a Trailblazer to tow, I can back up with ease.
I did paint the top corners of the ramp yellow for added visibility. It helps.
If you guys really want to hone your backing up skills 😅
Try playing this game American Truck Simulator.
When you are delivering a load it will ask you the difficulty...
You can have the game do it for you, option B is an easy spot and C - Back it up yourself.
So try backing up an 18 wheeler with a trailer into a loading dock, and all you have is the outside mirrors.

You will end up getting out and looking around, getting back in, forward, backward, get back out look around some more, repeat for like 2 hours, do that the first 10-20 times hahaha...

Even better if the cab is a sleeper.

I played probably 500 hours of that game lol and it really improved my trailer backing up ability in real life.

Reactions: Cam15

·
Registered
95 Posts
Putting some marker flags up on the trailer corners may help you see where it is. With a 4x8 may be better off just unloading then unhook and move by hand
By hand? Heck no! :D

Flags are a good idea. That's how we did it with tree trucks backing up with chippers.They had little 1/2" tubes welded at a 45 and the flags were on a stick so we could throw them in when you needed to see better. Always had a spotter with big trucks but still helped to be able to see the trailer yourself along with the spotter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts