Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
If you guys really want to hone your backing up skills 馃槄
Try playing this game American Truck Simulator.
When you are delivering a load it will ask you the difficulty...
You can have the game do it for you, option B is an easy spot and C - Back it up yourself.
So try backing up an 18 wheeler with a trailer into a loading dock, and all you have is the outside mirrors.

You will end up getting out and looking around, getting back in, forward, backward, get back out look around some more, repeat for like 2 hours, do that the first 10-20 times hahaha...

Even better if the cab is a sleeper.

I played probably 500 hours of that game lol and it really improved my trailer backing up ability in real life.
Do it in real life.

Registered
Try towing a 5x8 with a 1500 that has a cap on it. The back window of the truck was tinted and the front and rear glass of the cap was tinted.
Couldn't see anything - had to use mirrors.
How else would you back a trailer other than using the mirrors?

If someone can鈥檛 back a trailer using only the mirrors, I wouldn鈥檛 let them run my trucks/trailers. Required skill in my opinion.

Registered
How else would you back a trailer other than using the mirrors?

If someone can鈥檛 back a trailer using only the mirrors, I wouldn鈥檛 let them run my trucks/trailers. Required skill in my opinion.
Skill?
How about if you can't even SEE the trailer using your side mirrors? That was my main point.
The trailer is so small that I couldn't see any of it in my side mirrors until it was already cutting too far one way or the other.

I don't even need my side mirrors now - I can see everything fine through the rear view.
Plus, I CAN see the trailer better now in the side mirrors since I'm towing with a smaller vehicle.

Yeah, I know, I NEED an F350 dually and big, towing mirrors, and a 20' trailer, and 3 ZTRs...

Registered
Skill?
How about if you can't even SEE the trailer using your side mirrors? That was my main point.
The trailer is so small that I couldn't see any of it in my side mirrors until it was already cutting too far one way or the other.
Exactly the problem I had with my 4'x5' that I usually use for lawn work around my property but also run to town to fill gas cans or pick up bags of Deer Corn.

You can't even see it behind my Land Cruiser, so I added a couple of fiberglass (driveway markers) you can get any Lowe's store. Can easily see those in my rear-view mirror now.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car

Reactions: hort101

Registered
Sadly that's what the newer models come out to.
The older prolines (especially the fixed decks) were true 48"s.
How I know, 4 foot wide gates.
When I was searching 48 hydro walks some were like 51鈥. For whatever reason 50鈥 gate is a thing here. I helped my friend in his fence business last winter and mentioned that he keep in mind commercial mowers when choosing gate sizes. I really wanted a 52鈥 proline but it would have been prohibitive a lot.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts