1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

    Dismiss Notice

Is a fert. license really worth it?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hadly, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Hadly

    Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Messages: 26

    I live in IL and plan on primarily just doing mowing. I was reading on the IL pesticide web site that you have to build a containment area and have it approved and permited. No more than I will be using these chemicals I wonder if I would be better of subbing any fert work out.
  2. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,217

    Yes sub it out

    You ask " is a fert license worth it?"

    Well is paying taxes worth it? is getting liability insurance worth it? Is doing things the right way worth it? Is not breaking the law worth it?

    I think you really know the answer, you just want someone else to say they don't bother with doing things the right way then that would make you feel better
  3. Hadly

    Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Messages: 26

    If you read my post I said I would just sub any fert work out. Not do it without a license.

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,981

    Yeah, might be better off subbing it out, depending on the cost to get set-up, and the amount of business you're going to do.

    I took your post to mean is it cost effective to do fert, in essence.
  5. tiedeman

    tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth
    Messages: 8,745

    you need to find someone that does a quality job, and where you can charge enough up and beyond what the sub charges to make a profit.
  6. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963


    Some of the people on here are rocks and like to try to start and argument right off the bat! If you do a search on people replying to you you will soon identify the complainers and confrontational ones and can put them on the ignore list.

    I am also starting this year, and had planned to just mow, but figured if aerating, I want customers to know that I will be doing all the work. If they aerate they probably want overseeded, if they do that they probably want starter fertilizer. It is nice to at least be able to offer the other services and at least offer it to only your mowing customers. When I called for insurance, I found due to past coverage I had with no losses, my rate was about $360/year (the same as liability coverage for just mowing). I will not be blanket covering this year and will be applying everything liquid out of a backpack sprayer @ 1 gal per 1,000 (I do fairly small yards). If possible please provide the link to the website where you saw this information about the containment area. If you need the insurance info, let me know. The rates I found were about $600/year for a first timer @ $1,000,000 policy. Good luck. I will be in the Western Suburbs.
  7. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,217

    This issue should have been covered in your licensing test. Go back over your info you used to study for your pesticide license, you will find it there
  8. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    Anyone from Illinois needing the section for containment areas, here is the verbage:
    (415 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 5, par. 855)
    Sec. 5. Containment of spills, wash water, and rinsate collection.
    (a) No loading of lawn care products for distribution to a customer or washing or rinsing of pesticide residues from vehicles, application equipment, mixing equipment, floors or other items used for the storage, handling, preparation for use, transport, or application of pesticides to lawns shall be performed at a facility except in designated containment areas in accordance with the requirements of this Section. A lawn care containment permit, issued by the Department, shall be obtained prior to the operation of the containment area. The Department shall issue a lawn care containment permit when the containment area or facility complies with the provisions of this Section and the rules and regulations adopted under Sections 5 and 6.
    (b) No later than January 1, 1993, containment areas shall be in use in any facility as defined in this Act and no wash water or rinsates may be released into the environment except in accordance with applicable law. Containment areas shall include the following requirements:
    (1) The containment area shall be constructed of
    concrete, asphalt or other impervious materials which include, but are not limited to, polyethylene containment pans and synthetic membrane liners. All containment area materials shall be compatible with the lawncare products to be contained.

    (2) The containment area shall be designed to
    capture spills, washwaters, and rinsates generated in the loading of application devices, the lawncare product‑related servicing of vehicles, and the triple rinsing of pesticide containers and to prevent the release of such spills, washwaters, or rinsates to the environment other than as described in paragraph (3) of this subsection (b).

    (3) Spills, washwaters, and rinsates captured in the
    containment area may be used in accordance with the label rates of the lawncare products, reused as makeup water for dilution of pesticides in preparation of application, or disposed in accordance with applicable local, State and federal regulations.

    (c) The requirements of this Section shall not apply to situations constituting an emergency where washing or rinsing of pesticide residues from equipment or other items is necessary to prevent imminent harm to human health or the environment.
    (d) The requirements of this Section shall not apply to persons subject to the containment requirements of the Illinois Pesticide Act or the Illinois Fertilizer Act of 1961 and any rules or regulations adopted thereunder.
    (Source: P.A. 92‑113, eff. 7‑20‑01.)
  9. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    Hadly, I am getting info on a class A (portable) containment permit. I am thinking of a 25 gal containment pan with some type of reclaimation device inside for rinsing etc. 25 gal water supply and mix on site in a 4 gallon backpack. It does not sound to dificult. If you want further info, let me know.
  10. Hadly

    Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Messages: 26

    Thanks Marko I would appreciate that info.

Share This Page