• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Is a sulky bad for a gear driven WB?

SoloSulkySurfer

LawnSite Member
I recently bought a sulky and installed it on my 48" bobcat WB. I know that when I first bought this mower the previous owner which happened to be overweight wore out the transmission, possibly from him riding on a sulky. Will the sulky cause large amounts of wear and tear? Does anyone have a sulky made by rack'em? If so do you like it? I also never used a sulky before is their anything I should watch out for?

Thanks and by the way great website.

nobagger

LawnSite Gold Member
I recently bought a sulky and installed it on my 48" bobcat WB. I know that when I first bought this mower the previous owner which happened to be overweight wore out the transmission, possibly from him riding on a sulky. Will the sulky cause large amounts of wear and tear? Does anyone have a sulky made by rack'em? If so do you like it? I also never used a sulky before is their anything I should watch out for?

Thanks and by the way great website.
I've ran a 2 wheeled sulky for a couple of years on my 36" belt drive....still is like brand new. I would say if you run a Pro Slide (none-wheeled) then you might run into problems down the road. I would recommend running a sulky with wheels. A new tranny only costs around 200 bucks....the time you will save in the few years will probably tripple that.

GSPHUNTER

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, if it's not on caster wheels, it is just like driving a trailer behind a truck. It will swing out when you turn, so watch out for fences and other obstacles.

Mowman16

LawnSite Senior Member
It's like plowing snow, it will wear your truck out faster but you will make more $$$$.

CRF500

LawnSite Member
If your light it is not a big deal but I am 300 pounds and have wore out many but considering you can mow alot faster it is worth it.