Is competition healthy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Stripeking, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Stripeking

Stripeking LawnSite Member

Reason I ask is that I'm wanting to start my own lawn care business in the city. However I'm currently working as a lawn care technician for another company in town and have since spoke with my boss about this. He was great about it and said he would back me 100% and that competition is healthy in business.

Is this the case? Especially since the competition would be my old employer.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on how much competition.

Grassholes likes this.
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

True, depends on the competition and is it equal competition? If you're comparing Audi to BMW it's a good competition. If your comparing Audi to Kia.... Well.... depends on your LCOs too.........

North Idaho Dream likes this.
  4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

well I know I've been employed close to 10 years at the same mom and pop Landscape firm and if I said hey I'm leaving to be your competition they would respond go f.. yourself...and get out... or at least that's what I think. With saying that I believe you currently have a pretty good boss who must be very confident that he will retain his business just fine

Grassholes and GrassManKzoo like this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you expect to get better with your service if you have nothing to compare it against. I've seen small towns in the middle of nowhere, with very little competition, and the service I see is awful. If it wasn't so far away, like an 1 1/2 hours away, I'd be knocking on every commercial property there but it's the closest town to the lake and there really isn't very many citizens that live there year round. You can bet the ones that do all know each other and "bill" has been mowing for them for prob 20 years. No trimming or blowing. I'm serious, these businesses look atrocious in the lawn dept. but that is an example of what happens when there isn't mich or any competition. Service starts to deminish.

Grassholes and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Senior Member

Last guy I worked for actually encourage me to start on my own with my wife. Maybe he felt bad that he couldn't pay great because he was under priced. He actually set up his previous employee with a dump trailer to go on his own. He said he would send a lot of work to me but that never really happened, there is lots of work to go around so I don't think it's a problem being friendly with other companies. I talk to them all the time for advice or to complain about clients.

Dawson likes this.
  7. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

"Competition is a sin" John D. Rockefeller

If you don't have competition, you don't have competitors to skin". Cornelius Vanderbilt

8. Stripeking

Stripeking LawnSite Member

Some great points there, thanks guys!

9. BigJimFish

BigJimFish LawnSite Member

Good stuff.

Competition is great for the customer and **** for the provider. So I would love some competition in Banking, Healthcare, Internet, Media, and Airlines. These are the things I have to buy but have less competition every day though mergers and regulations. I am happy with the ruthless completion I get to benefit from in retail, automobiles, and food. I would like to have a lot less competition in lawncare. So all you need to quit.

Charles and Bcoogan23 like this.
  10. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

competition that is priced the same or higher can be good,competition that's lower priced is just bad for business
    client gets 3 estimates 2 at $40 and 1 at $30 you may still have a chance because they will wonder why the other guy is so much cheaper what won't he do properly but if they get you at$40 and the other 2 at $30 they will probably just think you're overpriced