Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is lawn maint considered a "cool", or macho type of employment. example: some may consider, perhaps, being a fireman as a macho type of job. some may consider being a male nurse, as a nerd type of job. is cutting grass cool? i mean, am i the only one who thinks i look cool while im cutting grass?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think it's mostly looked down on as far as a career path. Most blue collar-type work is looked at the same way.

That said, cutting lawn is very rewarding. Perhaps not necessarily financially for everyone, but you see instant results and there's always some new challenge.

I think lawn maintenance and landscaping is only macho to those on the inside and far from it to the outsiders.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
is lawn maint considered a "cool", or macho type of employment. example: some may consider, perhaps, being a fireman as a macho type of job. some may consider being a male nurse, as a nerd type of job. is cutting grass cool? i mean, am i the only one who thinks i look cool while im cutting grass?
it's better to be cool, than to look cool

·
Registered
326 Posts
I felt very cool when I first got on a Snapper Comet at 7 years old and feel that way everytime I get on my mower now-especially when a neighbor stands out in their yard and stares at me while I zip around on the Surfer; although after awhile I start staring back; like "What are you lookin' at?" or "take a picture, it'll last longer", especially if she ain't smilin', just staring. LOL

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It's cool to the little ones. I love seeing their faces as I zip through the yard! At least someone thinks it's cool.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Since I am still kinda on the outside looking in (ie my primary source of income is my full time job which i despise) I would say that I (and many others I've talked to) envy the crew that comes to cut our lawn and maintain the grounds at my company.

When I am in my LCO uniform and playing that role, I get the feeling from my customers and others that I talk to that they are envious.

I think being cool or not depends on whether you potray "want to mow lawns" or "have to mow lawns".

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
redbull, not only do i look cool, but i am cool. cool as the summer breeze, as cool as the other side of the pillow, u get my drift.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Kids are intrigued by ZTR's. They look at them as some sort of go-cart that cuts grass. I actually had a customer ask me if I'd take their son for a short ride on my lap. Went really slow, but I think it made that kids day.

By the way. Mowing is cool.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
I am a fulltime firefighter that cuts grass on the side. All of my co-workers think cutting grass is pretty cool especially because I can make between $50-$60 and hour. That is alot more than I make at the firehouse...

Derek

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it's cool sitting here at 4:00 in the afternoon counting all of today's collections. I think it's cool that we set our own schedules, work as much or little as we want, and don't have to request vacation days let alone be talked down upon by anybody just to mention a few things. Today was my first day to be videotaped by anyone as I was ----- slappin' a 1/2 acre lawn with my ztr. The guy filmed for about 10 minutes.....a few passes I was cruising one handed while giving the thumbs up. When I was finished I went and asked him why he was filming and he responded he was going to send it back to Mexico. I bet they'll think it's COOL!!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chicks dig guys who mow lawns
Do guys did chicks that mow lawns?

I think it's cool when I get looks from guys when I'm out working. I think a lot of them are surprised to see a decent looking girl out doing this type of work. Most women are too prissy to be caught out getting dirty and working hard.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My girlfriend used to help me during the summer when she was home from college. She loved weed whacking and push mowing. She is real prissy but wasn't afraid to get dirty or stinky. I like seeing girls out there on ZTR's or doing landscaping. Don't see much of it around here though. Chicks that mow are cool.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
From a part-time prospective:
If your not making much on your full time job and hate your job then you may think it is cool to own your own full-time business since you have the potential to make more than you make now.

The main part I think is cool is running my own business and getting lots of deductions to reduce my taxes. I love buying the Hustler ztr this year as a tax deduction and paying it off this year and having money for paying off bills.

For me if this was full-time it wouldn't be cool working in July and August in the mid-west heat/humidity and worrying about money coming in to survive payday to payday and how to earn money in the winter and how long can I keep it up before my body can't take it anymore year after year.

You might think it is cool now when you are young but I hope you young guys have a plan to grow big enough to work in the office on hot days and any other day you feel like it. Also plan ahead to put something back for IRA/401K for retirement and to afford medical insurance especially when you have a family.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I remember when I was in my early 20's I was at a party. We were all drinking and having a good time. I remember meeting a guy that said he was a "tree trimmer" and a "grass cutter". We made fun of him all night long....lol. Not so funny now. To this day I still do not like to be called a "lawn mower" or "grass cutter"....just doen't sound professional. As far as chics go....I have no idea.

MATT

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
usually when I tell someone that i own my own lawn care business, but then I start to get technical with them regarding the profits for the quarter, certifications, lawn terms, basically terms that they don't know so it makes them look like the -----

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by quikag
................ When I was finished I went and asked him why he was filming and he responded he was going to send it back to Mexico. I bet they'll think it's COOL!!!!!..................
What, there are Mexicans that don't knowwhat a ZTR is??? :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist........... Just kiddin' :D

·
Banned
776 Posts
I used to think cutting grass was cool. Now I think it is pretty much a necessary evil in this business, and it SUCKS. However, I must say it's not a bad way to build muscle passively.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.