1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Is everything I need in my truck so the Pesticide police don't haul me off to jail?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by aaronmg, Feb 18, 2014.

  1. aaronmg

    aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 357

    Not quite ready to go out and start the first rounds of applications yet, but I want to know if I forgot anything to pack in the trucks if I get stopped by DOT or Pesticide/Fert Police. Here's the list I came up with:

    In truck in case of emergency:
    1). 3 Safety Triangles
    2). Commercial Grade Fire Extinguisher
    3). Chemical Spill Response Kit
    4). Kitty Litter
    5). All Labels of Pesticides used on that particular day.
    6). Certification cards and depending on state, copy of Pesticide Business
    License (not sure about the business license)?

    PPE: Follow the label.

    If anybody has anymore to add just feel free to add and hijack!! I researched the safety section and not too much about PPE or requirements for pesticides. It always seems to deteriorate into a argument of GVW and weight limits and restrictions..
  2. twomancrew

    twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 940

    I wonder the same thing. I only keep a first aid kit, extinguisher, and the spill kit.
    I guess my permit is at home to be honest. It's a whole page and doesn't wanna be folded up into the wallet. Actually it's framed with the other permits and such, that kinda makes me feel like a 15 year old now I think about it. We framed the EIN and the dba too. I guess I wanted to hang something on the wall. My first invoice was paid by check so I had the bank give me some $1 bills and I took the top one and framed it. I also had the customer sign it. Jesus, I'm a nerd.
  3. whiffyspark

    whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,506

    You may need a spill contingency plan. Not sure. I'm sure someone will chime in soon
    Posted via Mobile Device

    NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 520

    For vehicle code. You'll also need fuse(s) it's a good idea to have a hi-viz vest if you don't all ready.
    And I'm not sure you need the actual biz license, just the number. Just my .02 cents
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. twomancrew

    twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 940

    City of Davenport won't issue a license to any service business. All my work is billed to addresses within Davenport. Retail licenses only.
    I learned other lessons from the idiots at the city hall like when they say you don't need something you go there and make them put it into writing and sign it. I'm thinking of construction permits. I won't even call the city these days. Much much better to go there in person.
  6. aaronmg

    aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 357

    First Aid Kit is a must. I forgot that one... My State of Md Card has me as a employee of my business the license number and certification number should be good.. I'm waiting on my fertilization business license number so I can put that number on the front fender of both sides of the truck.. Maryland is getting crazy with this stuff... I have the safety green shirts, both in long sleeve and short. From my understanding if you have the labels and the kit your good to go in md anyway..
  7. Trees Too

    Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,839

    GREAT LIST!!!!

    Things I have to add:

    1) The company's name & phone number in minimum 3" block lettering on both sides of the vehicle.

    2) Shipping papers (vehicle manifest) may be required for certain products regulated as hazardous under DOT Regulations. The regulatory section of a MSDS lists whether or not the pesticide product is a DOT regulated product.

    3) Always carry a spill kit including a shovel & broom and "steel sac" garbage bag, and appropriate PPE.

    4) Where practical, use a tarp as a bed-liner.

    5) Ratchet-type strap-downs to secure load.

    For more info. I advise checking out the "'Hazardous Materials Information Center'" at www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/info-center

    And "Federal Motor Carrier Safety & Security" at

  8. JonLawn

    JonLawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 221

    I mailed in for my license as well. Licenses expire in June, in the middle of the season! No idea why they aren't Jan 1- Jan 1.

    Did you read somewhere about needing license lettering on the truck? I haven't seen that.
  9. aaronmg

    aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 357

    Thank you for the response!!! I'm running out of room here on the truck real fast. I think in the state of MD you have to have over a 1000 lbs of hazardous material before you have to placard it.. Thats my thinking anyway I could be wrong.
  10. twomancrew

    twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 940

    Lawn signs are the law here too. 24 hours. I didn't mention that and I still hand write mine but they have to be done in IA.

Share This Page