1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Is Facebook Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by shifty98, Feb 2, 2017.

1. awayne

awayne LawnSite Senior Member

Well with fb I picked up a new customer. When I met with him he says "my neighbor is looking for someone to mow her grass too"

So I get the two and show up a few days later to mow. I start on the neighbors and a couple passes the next neighbor down stops me looking for someone to mow her grass so I pick her up and mow hers that day too... so now I'm at 3!

I leave and a little while later the first one calls me. I call him back and he says his neighbor on the other side wants me to mow. So now I'm at 4!

I go yesterday to do these properties and while I'm doing it someone across the street comes out and says how much to cut my front. I end up doing his too. Then while I'm doing the other 4 my one customer says you need to go across and talk to this neighbor she is also looking for someone to mow!

It is simply amazing how you pickup so many more customers with a trailer and bigger mower! Lol. so now I make one stop and have anywhere from 4-6 properties per week!

hort101 likes this.
  2. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

I post before and after photos. My jobs are a little bigger, so I'm not posting them all the time like someone selling shakeology or some new fitness trend, but I do keep it up to date. I get a good bit of likes and have scored a few jobs off of it. I also use Instagram, but that's more for brand recognition, networking with other outfits, and stroking my own ego. Another thing you can do is put a small Facebook logo sticker on your vehicle's and trailers by your lettering/logo. It's a simple way to streamline people to your business and put yourself on their mind. A like today may be a job tomorrow.

awayne likes this.
  3. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same thing. Customers kept asking, "Why aren't you on Facebook?" So I created a facebook page and now nobody goes to it. It is all hype - nothing actually happens. I got one job from it. The problem is that once you create it you kind of have to keep it going. If you have ever seen an abandoned facebook page - it looks like the company is out of business.

4. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Facebook is useful to refer landscape customers to see previous work or gather ideas. Mowing not so much unless you are referred over Facebook

Grassholes and awayne like this.
  5. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

I tend to use my FB page not so much as advertisement but as a knowledge base/snapshot of what we do. Recommended maintenance for upcoming weather, weed and bug ID pics, irrigation how to's, pretty pics, before/afters, that kind of thing. Occasionally, I'll offer a mass service for discounted price. More than trying to bring in new clients directly from my page, I try to get likes and shares from my current clients, and then their friends see those posts.

6. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

We have just changed our marketing strategy to straight Social media. No numbers yet but our marketing firm is positive the switch will be beneficial and that we will see a better return.

Grassholes likes this.
  7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD/NC

Yikes. Seems a bit risky, but curious to see how it turns out.

8. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

We still have a website and of course word of mouth and trucks around town. We tested the waters last year with a video for Christmas lights. It seemed to do well. Reached 13k+ people and over 35 sales all for like 150 bucks. Only like 4 bucks per customer, I'll take it. I'll know more after these next couple of months how well it works.

Direct mailers and flyers just end up in the trash now

9. Grassholes

I hope it works. Of course they are positive about it - they are charging you for it. Seriously, I hope it works. A lot of activity does not always convert though. They have a lot of backup excuses too. 'Well, your logo is outdated or your site needs to updated, etc.' Most digital marketing programs admit that at least 20% of their traffic is BOTS and some admit that it is even much higher. 'Maybe you are not competitively priced...' they start blaming you if it does not work.

10. Grassholes

I understand what you are saying but direct mail and flyers are still the only form of advertising that allows you to 'hyper target' your audience. You can literally choose who you want to advertise to. Facebook advertising could be very powerful but I quit trying to use them because they won't let me use my logo as an ad because it contains more than 20% text??? They have a lot of BS requirements and literally want to control how and what you advertise, so lame.