Is it even worth it?

Maharoni8766

LawnSite Member
So, i gave a few family friends a call today to ask them about there lawn care providers and to see how much they were being charged for there weekly service. the average in my area is $60-$80 a month. these properties are .25 acres normally. After pricing out my start up equipment ($3,000-$4,500) craftsman 46" riding mower, craftsman edger trimmer and blower! not including the cost of a trailer ($2k) the starting up of the corporation (llc filing fee $500) and about another $1k or so in advertising i am starting to feel a little less then confident about my new venture. I have been snow plowing for the past 3 years and thought this would be a great way to continue my income through out the year! i was hoping to bring in about $1,000 to $1,500 a week, is that doable working alone with companies charging these rates? :hammerhead: i was hoping for 10 clients a day 5 days a week, leaving Saturdays open in case of bad weather during the week! is this do able or am i way out of my league? Any and all input will be much appreciated and considered!

CrownScapes

LawnSite Member
How much of those small properties grass? Do they charge extra for pruning, weeding, cleanups etc?

You can offer full packages that covers it all instead of them paying for each time, just a simple monthly fee. Also, when I fiery started out I had smaller lots and used a 21 inch mower, start slow and build up, takes time and if you do great work the word will spread

OP
M

Maharoni8766

LawnSite Member
I am located right outside of chicago, and yes everyone does have other services done such as spring and fall clean ups and they are on average being charged $100-150 per clean up(1spring and 1 fall)

Why are you looking to purchase everything new? Look at Craig's list and auctions. You can pick up a good used mower for much less. Look at a utility trailer from a place like Menard's or Northern hydraulics should run $500-600. Small steps !

OP
M

Maharoni8766

LawnSite Member
Every one of threads i have read says to buy new handhelds (edger, trimmer, blower)! as for the mower, i am not against by a used one but i have not been able to find any reasonably priced lately.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
Don't waste your money on craftsman junk. Get a used 36" hydro drive walkbehind (I like toro), and stihl or redmax handhelds. Get good ramps and operate out of the bed of a pickup for the first couple years. Then move up to a 12' trailer and add a 52" stander. Build up slow but steadily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
60 to 80 bucks a month? I wouldn't even get out of bed for that. My minimum for a small yard is $32.50 per week. That's a cut/trim and blow. Any-thing else is extra.

Then it goes up depending on site conditions and size of yard. Every-one here is going to be different on their pricing, but 60 to 80 bucks wouldn't work where I am that's for sure. Remember some months can have 5 weeks too.

I think you need to know what your overhead is and what you would like to earn per hour and set a tailgate price. This is the minimum that you can take your mower off of your trucks tailgate for. Mine is $32.50 and I pay between 16 and 18 dollars an hour per employee, plus 27percent on government deductions, medical and dental. The rest covers overhead, a return on investment and a small profit per hour.

Do you think some-one you asked for prices from is pulling your leg? Perhaps to have you cut their lawn for less money? Or do others in your region and client demographic also charge what I perceive as so little per cut?

lawnagent

LawnSite Senior Member
It does not have to cost 500 bucks to incorporate. You can do the internet research for regs in your specific state and do it yourself for time spent plus paper and a stamp. You dont have to be an accountant to understand it either.