• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Is it hard to drum up business for skid steer work?

Victor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Before I buy a contractor sized dump truck, and a skid steer. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to find enough work for the skid steer. I was figuring on advertising in the yellow pages, and also in local periodical papers. Before I buy the equipment to do this, I'd like to know that I'd eventually be able to run the skid a minimum of 5-10 hours a week. That seems like a reasonable expectation to me, but since I've never run done this kind of work before, I don't know what to expect. I live in a big town (well over a million people).<br>I don't even know what kind of tasks are most commonly done with skids these days (ie. construction clean-up, brush removal, prepping lawns for sod, etc.)<br>Hate to ask so many questions, but it's a big investment.<p>Victor

southside

LawnSite Senior Member
Common tasks for a bobcat are cleanups,trenching,ground prep for turf laying,sand ups,ect.Sand ups are house pad<br>prep before laying slab.Don't try sand ups<br>until you've done a few hours.Over here a <br>decent bobcat guy will work 70-80 hours<br>per week and still turn away work.A friend<br>of mine turns over $20k (AUD) or about $15k<br>USD per month with his. Bobcats usually don't<br>do scrub clearing,leave that to slashers,<br>excavators and drotts.<p>Karl<br>