• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Is it illegal to place a flyer in the paper box?

ertb

LawnSite Member
I have my flier and business cards made up and ready to get them out but one question. Does anyone know that if it illegal to place fliers in the paper box? I know not to touch the mailbox. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

rywnygc

LawnSite Senior Member
when I check my mail, if its not important I walk it to the trash can before I even hit the front door. If something is left on my door, it at least makes it to my end table and gets a look b4 I toss it.

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
Not by law or by USPS. Nothing that will land you in jail or in court. However the homeowners could ban you, but they would need to warn you and warn you again with official notification (which most never do). I do it all the time and have picked up lots of business and built a nice little company. This is my first line of advertising!:usflag:
PS your advertising is made of paper - right? It new news to them right? what's the box called again? :laugh:

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
when I check my mail, if its not important I walk it to the trash can before I even hit the front door. If something is left on my door, it at least makes it to my end table and gets a look b4 I toss it.
What Dat mean? You just still pissed who Dat beat your _______:laugh:

rywnygc

LawnSite Senior Member
wow, clever....

We'll see how they do next year. Its amazing how fans crawl out of the woodwork when a team finally does something after 40 years. Both teams played like crap. The only thing that made the game is when Porter( I think thats his name) practiced one play over and over and over and finally it worked out for him at the end of the game.

Now, this is a lawn service forum. Wish people would stick to that. If you want to talk ball, go to nfl.com. You can jump on the bandwagon there....Otherwise go eat a big bag of fat baby d**ks

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Not by law or by USPS. Nothing that will land you in jail or in court. However the homeowners could ban you, but they would need to warn you and warn you again with official notification (which most never do). I do it all the time and have picked up lots of business and built a nice little company. This is my first line of advertising!:usflag:
PS your advertising is made of paper - right? It new news to them right? what's the box called again? :laugh:
Not sure where you came up with that???

Yes it is illegal. Not just state governed but federal. If you do not pay the delivery cost for the government to get there cut there is a $50.00 fine for anything you put in a mail box, on a mail box, or in a news paper box. Call your local post master if you don’t believe me. These fines can get expensive if you hit a sub division with a lot of houses.

Most cities, you also have to have a license to pass out flyers. Here it is around $150 per years per city. Contact your local housing authority to find out if you need this license. Like I said, it varies from city to city.

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont listen to this advice ertb.

The newspaper box is attached to the mailbox thus making it USPS property.

Best thing you can do is make up some door hangers and use them.

Think Green

LawnSite Silver Member
The latter couple of LCO's are correct in saying that the paper box is a part of the mailbox. This raises another question! What if the paper box is separate on its own stand?? Some of our customers didn't install the combination mailbox as the bricklayer formed his artwork. Either way, the newspaper provider can raise some issues with the USPS as well as the homeowner and the fines are stiff. We often will purchase thin plastic bags and attach rubber bands for the door knobs or in 90% of the cases- door handle. The higher end homes don't use door knobs, they use ornate handles of brass or some type of bronzed finish pattern. Storm doors and screen doors aren't used much anymore unless they are ornate with nice handles. (Hangers have a tendency to fall off!) I slide the hanger between the glass and the metal iron. I have noticed that customers like myself enter their homes through the carport. Most people don't use the front door unless they are receiving packages from UPS,FedEX, or Certified MAil, so most times a door hanger isn't noticed for a couple of days. Think about ways to attach the hanger to their keypad entry box off the carport is you want to draw their attention. Don't use tapes that will leave residue or scars. You will surely irritate a potential customer and of course your name is affixed as evidence.
Your local Postmaster General can give you literature regarding the legal issues and fees for penalties.

kipcom

LawnSite Senior Member
Then why dont they charge the newspaper companies a fee for using their precious "mailbox" ? :hammerhead:

I say stick it in the box (newspaper) :usflag:

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Then why dont they charge the newspaper companies a fee for using their precious "mailbox" ? :hammerhead:

I say stick it in the box (newspaper) :usflag:
Yes…stick them in the newspaper box then when you get your fines you can sue this guy because he told you that you can….in the law suit make sure to take on your hourly rate that you charge customers. This will cover your loss time in court and down time because of your misinformed information :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*