Is it just me, or do Husky trimmers feel extremely cheap these days?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Just tried out a Husqvarna trimmer at a customer's place. I do their lawn, but they take care of the rest of the brush on the edge of the property themselves because of the cost. Well, they're teenagers do I should say.

Anyways, I just tried out their trimmer/brush cutter for the jeck of it after asking if I could give it a whirl, and I was pretty impressed with the power for the weight of the machine and the cost. They paid around $300 at Lowes for it. What I was not impressed by was how cheap it looked and felt. This was a commercial machine for sure, but it just felt like a toy in a lot of ways.

I would assume this is how Husky is keeping the weight down, but do these machines hold up? How do the newer Husky trimmers hold up in regards to handles, triggers, housings etc when commercially used?

I did like the power for such a light trimmer.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
they are great. i've been using mine for years. i mean you can't go throwing them around and dropping them from 4ft in the air and stuff. you can't really do that with any trimmer without breaking it. :laugh:

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
you are correct =they keep weight down by using the lighest materials and components possiable. their build quality is very poor but its a trade off. the power is inpressive as is the better throttle response despite epa mandates. I find them harder to work on also. you cannot deny the performance /weight ratio is execellent tho

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
My neighbor would bet his life on a Husky product. And while I like the power and weight, the plastics are really thin and cheap. The engines and gear heads are well thought out and hold up. I have dropped my trimmers before by accident and can only expect the Husky to break if it endured the same fall.

OP
cold-beer

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
There is a big gap between Husky domestic and professional ranges in quality, and price.
At $300, I would think that the 525L is a professional model. That seems to be the price for most brands as far as their entry professional models.

Is their a big gap in quality between this model and their more expensive models? I know with brands like Echo, Stihl or Tanaka, the engines and guts change as you go up in price, but the quality in handles, triggers or housings seems to be there on anything they label as being a true commercial grade machine.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Just tried out a Husqvarna trimmer at a customer's place. I do their lawn, but they take care of the rest of the brush on the edge of the property themselves because of the cost. Well, they're teenagers do I should say.

Anyways, I just tried out their trimmer/brush cutter for the jeck of it after asking if I could give it a whirl, and I was pretty impressed with the power for the weight of the machine and the cost. They paid around $300 at Lowes for it. What I was not impressed by was how cheap it looked and felt. This was a commercial machine for sure, but it just felt like a toy in a lot of ways.

I would assume this is how Husky is keeping the weight down, but do these machines hold up? How do the newer Husky trimmers hold up in regards to handles, triggers, housings etc when commercially used?

I did like the power for such a light trimmer.
husky has always been clunky , ugly and cheap looking
They don’t worry about “check out how fancy I am” when it’s going to be covered in saw dust and bar oil all day

saw man

LawnSite Bronze Member
You said they bought it at Lowes. Go see what they sell in your area and then get back with us on model #, or find out what they have. They do Have homeowner and professional product. Very different