1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

is it really worth it? (reel mower)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gil, Aug 1, 2005.

1. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I always wondered. How good are those push reel mowers??? ;) I used a reel mower while I worked at a golf course, but does it really do the job?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Some studies have shown that using one of those is better for the grass than a rotary mower. What a pain though. Only good an less than 1/4 acre in real short grasss! I have one!

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Agreed. I used one on a neighbors lawn when he ws away as a kid. Luckily very small yard. Actually was not that bad just took some getting used to. I wouldn't ever want to have to do a lrge area with one though.lol.

4. gil

gil LawnSite Member

If I use it in a couple of lawns no bigger than 1000 sf would be worth it?

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a good push reel mower?
    I was thinking about getting a power one for some high end yards but they are way too much money for just a few yards.

6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I have that same problem, and I haven't seen anybody using those push reel mowers. They are not that cheap.

7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

My uncle has an old one from when he was a kid. If the grass is over about 4" forget it, it is a pain, and my neighbor has one for the practice green he made in his back yard. Try ebay, they might have some good deals.

8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't recommend using one for profit .. c

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If using it to turn a profit, it may not look very professional. you can get one at home depot for about 60 to 80 bucks. I wouldn't get it though.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

maintenance on reel mowers is a PITA, they use them on Golf courses for a reason... they cut extremely well when maintained. Would i use them for commercial work? hell no, the time in the shop to keep it in tune wouldn't out weigh the $ returned from work IMO