Is It To Late To Get Started??

MEvans857

LawnSite Member
Hello All, just joined the site and have spent what seems like hundreds of hours looking thru post just reacquainting myself with what is going on these days in the industry. I love these forums and what everyone has to offer and used them a lot back in the day as well.

A little background, I owned (with a partner) a lawn care/landscaping company in Northern Kentucky (just outside of cincinnati) for several years however long story short, dissolved it after not listening to everyones advise about partners. I have now moved to Southern Illinois a month ago to be closer to my wife's family and have been out of work now for several months. I thought I would just go back to what I know and was fairly successful at with in a relatively short amount of time but I'm running really late, timing wise to start from scratch right now. I'm up for the challenge and think that I can pull everything together with-in the week relying on my past experience about what needs to be done but I'm not sure how the economy is treating everyone in the business and due to the mild winter and early grass growth...Do you think I'm to late?

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
Last season was my first full season.
I started getting calls for estimates the beginning of April and couldn't start cutting until the last week of April due to non-stop rain.

I continued to get calls throughout the season up until the end.

Not every client starts at the "beginning". Some just purchased a new home, while others may be selling and need your services. Accidents can prevent them from doing it themselves, they fired the previous guy, they just decide they don't want to do it themselves any longer, the list goes on.

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
No it's not to late but the clock is getting close. Get your name registered immediately you can't open a bank account or print up contracts or invoices or even do advertizing if you don't know if your name is even available. Once that's set there's insurance tax id and advertizing. If you push hard and go the extra mile you can make it starting this late. My first year had plenty of hic ups in the beginning didn't do our first job till April 30th but managed to have 65 accounts and a 80k year by the end of it. Good luck to you your going to need it this is year 4 of a recession.

OP
M

MEvans857

LawnSite Member
I'vd definitely been working non stop to get everything off the ground but my huge concern is not having any advertisement out at all....Just don't want all this work and $$$ to be in vein if I end up investing in the lawn care side especially. I'm about 25 minutes outside of Carbondale, IL so there's plenty of population around but as anywhere you go, this industry is fairly saturated, and there's lots of low ballers to deal with as well. I have been so back and forth on this, just because I remember what a challenge it was to start and obviously timing.