1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Oct 2, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I have recently bought me a JD 757 used. Hopefully will be getting a trailer soon. I also need a trimmer and maybe a blower. Im really just looking to mow and weedeat but I would do more. I really need to get my mower paid off because I despise dept. What can I do to start making payments towards my mower?

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You can use it to do leaf cleanups... If you have a mulch kit on it just run over the leaves until the are powder....usually takes a couple of passes. If you dont have a mulch kit, you can get one for around $200 or $250. Just charge the customer per man hour. Around here you can get a minimum of $40 per man hour.

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Get a nice leaf blower and do a ton of fall cleanups. Get a backpack blower, like an Echo or Redmax. They cost around 400, but if you get enough jobs, you can easily pay them off. I'd say if you get 3 jobs or so, you can pay off the blower. And any more than that, you can start making payments on your mower. For a trimmer, I'd say go with Echo. I just got one today. So far it is really nice. I got the SRM-210. For only $200 you can't go wrong.

4. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

yeah I have a mulch kit on my mower. Fall cleanup sounds like a good way to make money. I am a coach so I am pretty stinkin busy during the school year. I think its a good idea for me to make some money and I am really interested in the business. Would rather just mow and weedeat though.

5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Fall cleanups can be good. Just set a rate and stick with it. If you get turned down too much you can always go down, but don't work for free.