1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is it true?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ralph Wiggum, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Ralph Wiggum

Ralph Wiggum LawnSite Member
    from NY

If you seed with a mix of PRG and KBG that the KBG will never grow because the PRG will block it out? heres my mix

25% Darkstar II Perennial Ryegrass
    25% Preston Perennial Ryegrass
    25% Yorkshire Dales Perennial Ryegrass
    15% Deepblue Kentucky Bluegrass
    10% Washington Kentucky Bluegrass

Thanks guys

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

down to less than 10% of the total mix. It is true that prg releases compounds that keep other seeds from germinating. I think the compounds are classified allelomorphs (SP?) Another example of this is a black walnut tree that has the ability to kill other tree seedlings from the compounds that the hulls of the nuts release.:hammerhead:

3. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

FYI Dave,

The compound released by black walnut trees is called "Juglans" which is also the genus of the species.

As for a compound released by Perennial rye, I've never heard of this theory that keeps other seeds from germinating ?? What Perennial rye will do [if to much percentage of mix] is encourage interplant competition. With the rye taking up all the space [as it'll germinate and establish first] nothing else has a chance to germinate.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Rapid germination of one specie is the cover crop for slower germinating species. A strategy in farming, but it is done with annuals.
    First I have heard of PRG actively Pre-M ing KBG.
    Do you think it is real?