is it worth it for me to get into the applicator side

kebrowns

LawnSite Member
i am a newbie and was wondering is it worth it to get into the applicator side of the business. I am studying now for the applicator license just wondering if its worth it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
If you want to work hard and build legit, then yes worth it.
As opposed to mowing, you need a bunch of customers with apps to make real money, since your per customer gross is not that big.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes; it is worth it if you have a lot of weeds where you are. But the insurance and liability are greater. Chemicals you know. Its more complicated than mowing. You need to understand the chemicals, weeds, insects, crabgrass and what will be effective. Plus you need suitable equipment. Experience as an applicator is very helpful.

If you pass the test in one try with an above average score--you can probably learn the rest. Read a few hundred posts here.

jad004

LawnSite Senior Member
Exactly the way I did it Riggle. Studied like crazy. Then read hundreds (probably thousands) of posts on this website. Growing up a crop farmer's kid probably worked in my favor as well.

It's worth it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
to boot -lets just say when I started offering apps, that side of things took off WAY faster than mowing bar none. The growth potential is far greater IMO.

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with what everybody else has said. To answer your question. YES it is well worth it. Very rewarding in a lot of ways. I just got my license this year. In the past my lawns had more weeds than I could keep up with by mowing. Besides getting paid to take care of the weeds.. I just can't tell you how nice it is to pull up every week to see just about a weed free lawn. I find myself caring a lot more about the work I put in to my work rather than just mowing. The equipment I bought this year is all paid for too. Getting your license will not make you and expert. Continue to read and practice your trade safely. GOOD LUCK !!