1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

is kentucky fescue excellent grass for renovation?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by akgarrett62, Jun 4, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

i want to renovate my lawn, and have been under the impression that fescue will make a beautiful lawn. is KY fescue a good choice, or regular fescue?

i live in HOT Tennessee.

2. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Do you mean Kentucky 31/Rebel Fescue or KY Bluegrass? Do like I did and do BOTH!!!

K31 Fescue, I believe, was one of the early cultivars of fescue that was commercialized. Check out NC State's or Ohio State's university/co-op extension. Here is a link to the NCSU site a.k.a. Turffiles.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Default.aspx

Very comprehensive - there are a lot of free guides/downloads/tools and they have some good recommendations as far as which seed cultivars perform better based on their clinical trials. I use it extensively for herbicides/weed/disease identification. There are a lot of new strains of fescue of TTTF, chewing fescue, fine fescue depending on your climate/conditions/soil type.

I have used a blend of TTTF (Lesco Transition at my old home) in the past but now use Turf Seed Inc. (Scott's owns now) Confederate blend with excellent results. Last year I switched to TTTF/KBG blend to help thicken my weaker areas as KBG spreads while TTTF does not (although some new fescues do but I haven't heard people speak highly of them). The TTTF/KBG has really done well and we'll see how it handles the heat (high 90s the rest of this week :cry:). TTTF is fairly hardy for cool-season grass but many prefer the appearance of KBG (finer blades/darker colors). That is what I understand to the be improvements of the newer TTTF varieties over the old K31 is the improved color/texture while maintaining most of the durability of K31. I'm in the Transition zone and have the good ole clay soils - not sure what you've got over in the Volunteer state.

Hope that helps - good luck!

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

K31 is a clumping varietu. I think creeping red would better suit you. I'd even mix it with some Bluegrass. Very thick. Overseed after establishedwhen a late snow is melting every other year if needed.
    Roy in Kingsport