Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Murray is one of the best brands out there. And a little known fact about Murray is that their mowers require no oil. Yep, no oil! Saves lots of $$ that other guys have to spend, putting your operation on top.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Definatively, No. Stick with the stronger brands and don't be duped by a commercial tag on anything that can be bought at Sears, Home Depot, Target, Walmart etc. Go to a good repuatable lawn shop and pick out something good. Be prepared, it won't be cheap. A good highend 21 inch self propelled push mower commercial will run 800 - 1000 bucks to give you an idea of price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
everyone knows that murray is top of the line. it's way better than dixie chopper, hustler, etc. why would you ask such a stupid question?

actually if your just starting and that's all you can afford --- use it till you get enough money and enough clients to need a commercial mower. just my opinion.

·
Registered
781 Posts
yeah if i owned anything made buy murry i wouldn't waiste my money buy putting oil in it eather. The oil would be worth more then the mower to me.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
blandl--murray mowers are not generally made to, nor would they perform to commercial mowing specifications/expectations.

they have an anticipated mowing life expectancy and that isn't long as compared to a heavy commercial made unit.

I think your question is a valid question.

GEO :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Murray, owned by Senyang Hejin Holding Company (a Chinese company), filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in November of this year. They owe Briggs and Stratton $40 MILLION !!! The Murray product line is big with mass retailers such as WalMart.....not commercial users.

Keep researching....

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
As I stated in your other thread...buy comm'l grade equipment if at all possible. Don't spend the same money over and over again. No, murray is not a comm'l grade mower. It may cut pretty good and get you started, but it will NOT hold up to comm'l work.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
For a 21" that is not going to get used much at all they are fine. The 21" actually has a great cut. I used to use one for 2 back lawns every week. But for a primary mower you will want to stay away from them.

For a rider I would look at a good commercial brand like John Deer or kabota to name a couple. But these can cost a lot of money and I think you would be better off getting a quality walk-behind.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To quote a line from the movie "The Fly": "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

A 21" push mower that runs $150 might be OK. You can recoup your money in 6 to 10 lawns. Just be sure to put a lot of money back by mid summer because you WILL be buying a replacement. Don't, however, go spend 500 to 1000 dollars on a rider. You would be much better off using that money toward a used commercial mower and by mid summer some of those may be for sale.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
keep in mind that these mowers are for homeowners. they only cut thier lawns a maximum of 40 times per year. it's only 18 or so if they cut every two weeks.

in one week you will but a whole year's wear and tear on the machine

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Dude said:
Murray is one of the best brands out there. And a little known fact about Murray is that their mowers require no oil. Yep, no oil! Saves lots of $$ that other guys have to spend, putting your operation on top.

Have fun
mmmmmmmmmmm, no oil , never herd of that, what does it use? water,lol- it has to have oil or it won't cool down. unless its a 2 stoker, but Murray don,t make 2 stokes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The Dude said:

Have fun
Ol'time Lawncare said:
mmmmmmmmmmm, no oil , never herd of that, what does it use? water,lol- it has to have oil or it won't cool down. unless its a 2 stoker, but Murray don,t make 2 stokes.
dont look into Medusa's eyes or you will be stoned...... :waving:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ol'time Lawncare said:
Ztoro, is there a murray that does not use oil???? teach me something
old time,
that is their cunning use of sarcasm... to not use oil cuz they think the oil is worth more then the machine.

I used a murry lawn tractor on one account, a few acres. it cut great when i used it. My grandfather uses a 21" murry when i can't get there to cut it. leaves a nice finish, but i don't know how they would hold up from everyday use.
but i'm one to tell you use what you have until its in your budget to upgrade. would you try a lower series lawnboy? i think they are in the 250 - 300 range new, cheaper if you buy them used. I use commercial lawnboys, paid about 7 or so when i bought them. you can always upgrade later on.

what does a murry go for? 150? cut 1 day and your machine is paid for!
like GEO said, i think you question was legitimate. good luck.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Lux Lawn said:
I buy the 21 inch rear bag Lawnboys for around $450 with a 6.5 horse engine not as good as the ones Adam buys for $700 but still a very good mower.
what is that, the gold series or silver pro? that's just below the commercial model.

i think lowes offers the standard silver series, not even the silver pro, for about 3.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.