Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered a 3 point hitch for my 318. i'm thinking of ordering this turf-aire aerator 36" wide http://www.turf-aire.com/proaire.html. i thought about ordering the 48" but they want double the cost.

they say the 3 point on this tractor can lift around 500lbs so i should be ok with that. i may have to add some weight on the front and maybe some bar tires for more traction.

all in all i will have about $1100 into this.

is this going to work good? am i forgetting something?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Check that "may have to add some weight on the front...."

There's no question.

I wouldn't worry about bar tires until I actually slipped. You would have to be going up some pretty steep inclines for a 318 to break traction with an aerator. Super turfs (what they're putting on the 748's today) might be a good option, too. That said, I have bars (Carlisle) on my 455 and love them. They don't mark up the yard any more than turfs when mowing.

I'm not in the business -- I just have a big property to take care of myself. But from my perspective, I think you have a money making machine. You'll have less invested than a walk behind, you should be able to work almost as tight to walks, beds, and drives as a walk behind, but you should be physically able to last longer each day and more days each season.

·
Registered
94 Posts
not familiar with a 318 but am familiar with a 36" ryan 3 point on a kubota 6200. unless im doing wide open lawns over 20k my 26" bluebird will run circles around it. The walkbehind never stops whereas on the tractor you spend the whole time turning around. Wide open football field- different ball game, i will put up with the narrow width for the saved steps. not to mention on a 36 you will always be running over your cores, not so bad on a dry day but they will snowball and leave clumps when wet. IMO-Go bigger if you can

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the same setup I have thought of running on my Deere 400. Don't know the lift capacity. It should work well. Have you checked into any other 3 point aerators?
yes i looked around but there arn't many out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.